Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Allister Announce New Record

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Allister have announced a new album called 20 Years and Counting:

To mark this milestone in our career, we are excited to announce that we’ll be releasing a new record. It’s a 20 song compilation that features songs from previous records as well as four brand new tracks. The record comes with a bit of a twist, though. Since we don’t own the recording licenses for songs on our first three records, we took the liberty to re-record and re-imagine some of them (we own the rights to the songs themselves).

The album will be released on January 30th, 2019.

Track Listing

1. Stay With Me
    2. Radio Player
    3. Runaway
    4. Somewhere on Fullerton
    5. D2
    6. Moper
    7. Haley
    8. Scratch
    9. Peremptory Challenge
    10. Stuck Powered On
    11. A Study in Economics
    12. Flypaper
    13. Back to Brookline
    14. All We Needed
    15. 5 Years
    16. Jacob
    17. A Lotta Nerve
    18. Carousel
    19. Ovrrated
    20. Blackout

Raku and Dog Fish like this.
  2. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Wow. Haven’t heard this name in a long time!

3. tobytobes

Regular

So someone who knows music law:

Why can't they have their old versions for an album, but make a new album with them and it's okay?

4. Had no idea this band still existed tbh

5. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

They own the song (lyrics/music) but not the recording (masters) - that is generally held by whoever paid for them to record the album (presumably Drive Thru or whoever the hell they've sold the rights to - this is how Enjoy The Ride is able to release vinyl for albums without the artist approval).

They can re-record the song since they own the actual music, but can't release the original recordings as they appeared on the album.

summertimejesus, Raku and Bayside 182 like this.
  6. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I'm not 100 percent but I think the actual recording of the song is property of the previous record label but the lyrics and music is theirs so they are free to Rerecord it as many times as they like and then claim ownership of the new recording. The original record company won't let them use the original recordings because the band no longer works for them and they don't want the band to be able to sell it and the record company not get paid from it. Something like that.....

Raku likes this.
  7. Dog Fish

Mutt

first senses fail, now this. Let's get the rest of the drive-thru crew! Maybe movie life will surprise us with 'gambling problem' rerecorded in prep for their upcoming tour.

Dan O'Neill and summertimejesus like this.
  8. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Seriously a bunch of these bands should get together for a drive thru reunion tour

9. btr

Trusted Supporter

Last Stop Suburbia is pop punk gold

Brent, Fox83, MightyBrian and 4 others like this.
  10. The Format

Regular

They did a good job of recreating the original

Raku and fourstarters like this.
  11. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I was cringing at the thought of a new version of "Somewhere On Fullerton", but they nailed it and I enjoyed the one-take video.

This was always the most underrated Drive Thru band, will definitely listen. Weren't they just touring Japan for like 6 years?

12. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Someone get The Starting Line on board and I'd pay way too much for it.

arcarsenal72 and Brent like this.
  13. delvec19

Trusted

[​IMG]

This album was the shit. But yeah they've been erased from my memory for a while until today.

spencpants and Brent like this.
  14. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

I'm a huge fan of the little break towards the end with Scott. This is awesome.

15. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Last Stop Suburbia is an all time DTR release.

Brent likes this.
  16. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

lol I was thinking the same thing about be video, with those gutter balls in there this is definitely one take, I enjoyed it

17. Raku

Regular

Wow, I'm actually excited for this.

Bummed that we're only getting four new songs, but re-recording these old songs would in someways make them feel/seem new. Especially hearing what they did to Somewhere On Fullerton... Yeah, count me in.

18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This is awesome. Not a huge fan of the re-recorded vocals though.

19. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

I still love this band. I really do hope they play riot fest or an after-fest show while I'm in the area.

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Checked this out. I really enjoyed the re-recording!

Raku likes this.
  21. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Dig. Allister, Fireside Bowl, Chicago, Fullerton....good times

Raku and Brent like this.
  22. Maverick

Trusted

Ooooh! I remember enjoying Allisters first two albums (3rd one barely remember) so this is pretty neat, haven’t heard them in years! Now Fenix*TX should follow suit but they never seem to get their act together :/

23. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Holy shit yesssssssss so excited for this. Saw them open up for Finch's WIITB album release party at HOB Anaheim and then on Warped 2002... so happy they're back.

24. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

oh my middle school heart :heart:

25. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Holy shit, I'm so down for this!! These guys were on constant rotation for me during high school. Kinda like this idea more than just a greatest hits compilation CD with a few new songs. Can always make my own playlist with the old songs if I ever want to. Can't wait to hear this whole album!

Raku likes this.