Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Is Relaunching the Reverse-Chronological Feed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Casey Newtom, writing for The Verge:

Twitter is offering users another escape hatch from its ranked timeline. The company said today that it will introduce a prominent new toggle in the app to switch from the ranked timeline to the original, reverse-chronological feed. The company says the move comes in recognition of the fact that Twitter is often most useful in real time, particularly during live events such as sports games or the Oscars.

2. Kaduck

Regular

Thank goodness. I always hated the ranked timeline. I actually quit using twitter because I felt I was missing stuff all the time. But now I hear it’s a toxic cesspool so maybe I should keep away

David Parke and Raku like this.
  3. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

@instagram

Brent, mercury, David Parke and 7 others like this.
  4. heymattrick

Sending my love

My app just started defaulting to “Top tweets” instead of “Latest tweets” and it’s annoying the hell out of me. Is this what this is talking about? I hope so

Raku and AFoolsGlory like this.
  5. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

What about getting rid of FUCKING NAZIS?

6. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I switched my feed to chronological a couple months ago and its so much better

Raku likes this.
  7. razorburn

Trusted

David Parke likes this.
  8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

twitter is a bad website and you'll be happier when you delete it

also "reverse chronological" should at very least be an option for any social media, fuck algorithm dictated feeds. Let me see what I choose to see

9. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Im glad I saw this because I already had this turned off before and this new feature defaulted it back to the old bad way

10. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Are there any popular social media website the average chorus.fm users even like? Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Plus, YouTube, Reddit, etc have all been accused for the same shit you're all hating on Twitter for.

Brent likes this.
  11. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I like Instagram and it's the only one I use with any regularity. It certainly has its own flaws, but I like how it's generally less noisy than the rest, plus it gives me good travel ideas.

12. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

most social media is pretty terrible tbh

Brent likes this.
  13. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, Instagram is great. But even that has been accused of utilising an unfavorable algorithm for displaying their feed and also as a platform that aids the selling of fascist march. Same for all the other social media sites - yet I doubt everyone here boycots/lambasts them too (minus FB). It's just 'cool' to shit on them all.

But what if you want 'noise' too? For example, wanting to hear your friends' thoughts and not just their occasional, superficial and almost utopian-inspired picture uploads. Twitter is great for this.

14. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

You seem to not really grasp what’s going on.
    We’re literally forced to use the social media we have because we have no other way to keep in touch with each other. Thus of course we can complain about the undesirable parts of those platforms. It’s not to be “cool” like Jesus Christ who do you think people are trying to impress by complaining??

It’s actually not hard to comprehend that a lot people want to just see their feed in order of when things were posted, by the people they choose to follow.

The other main complaint is how these companies, who we are culturally beholden to, choose to deal with (or, in actuality, not deal with) dangerous and violent ideologies on their platform. If you really think that’s not worth speaking up for, get out of my fuckin face.