Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘The 1975 – Notes on an Exceptional Year’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The 1975’s Matty Healy sat down with NME to talk about the past year, and their upcoming album:

People get confused, they can’t understand why a lad their age wouldn’t be wanting to be in The Courteeners or be in a punk band more than my band. It’s because it’s done, lads, it’s done. We’ve done it. It was great but we’ve done it. It’s like, white men shouting has been done so many times and the interesting perspective in punk is where women are. But that’s why there are interesting bands like Idles who deal with stuff like fragility and toxic masculinity. If there’s meaning, it’ll resonate.

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

When I think Punk I still think one of my favourite bands....Bad Religion. Their old stuff is is still as relevant as ever, talking politics, environment and the society we live in. They still make records fans love and still sound like the same band.

I always felt punk went against social norms. They embraced the different. Thanks I always associate the toxic masculinity to the hair bands of the 80’s.

Maybe his idea of punk is different. Depends on your age and where you’re from.

JRGComedy likes this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Bad Religion's new stuff holds right up there with their peak

fredwordsmith and .K. like this.
  4. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I think part of the dichotomy of "punk" is for some people it's a sound, some people it's an ethos and for some it's both.

You could have a band that sounded like Bad Religion that was singing about the glories of capitalism and the need to protect the wealth of the 1%. Is that punk?

You could have an act that writes about the horror of eating animals, the need to protect the most vulnerable among us and the idea to always question authority, but they're singing it with Taylor Swift-level hooks. Is that punk?

Ultimately, that's why I love this subculture - I wrote my senior honors thesis about all this more than a dozen years ago, back when I found AP.net in 2005 (!) and the discussion continues today. Amazing that it's likely never going to be over. But I appreciate that Matty is well-read on history enough to know that his band needs to keep re-inventing to be relevant and also appreciates the need for a counter-point or unheard voices. That's rare in a pop star, but not so rare in punk.

JRGComedy likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

There really are a lot of punk subcultures. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it or what drew you too it in the first place.

There’s always been a speed or urgency to the music and the message. There is a fashion side of things that happens with most subcultures, but that gets really watered down. But ultimately it often comes down to an attitude. Sticking to a belief that goes against a certain social norm and a willingness to be heard.

I’m sure that was a fun paper to write. There are so many potential angles.