Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Music Removing “Connect”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Zac Hall, writing for 9to5Mac:

Apple has started notifying Apple Music artists that it is removing the ability for artists to post content to Apple Music Connect, and previously posted Apple Music Connect content is being removed from the For You section and Artist Pages in Apple Music. Connect content will still be viewable through search results on Apple Music, but Apple is removing artist-submitted Connect posts from search in May.

I miss Rdio and I miss their “heavy rotation” feed. That was the right way to integration social features into a music streaming service.

2. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Apple has never really been successful at the whole social thing. Reminds me of Ping.

3. Sal Mastrocola

Making Music in Gatto Black

Rdio heavy rotation was the best vehicle for discovery on a streaming service, hands down. It's so simple too. Somebody bring it back.

4. Man AND you had to bring up RDIO. RIP...

Zac at 9to5Mac is a big blink fan, which I kinda love.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Rdio was the best - Had a heavier focus on albums, had a well-regulated comment section, better social interaction. It sucks that neither Spotify or Apple Music picked up the slack.

6. Quijiba

I'm mostly just baffled that Rdio is the only service that was ever able to intelligent integrate social features, and even more baffled that someone hasn't outright plagiarized the entire thing now that its been dissolved.

7. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Pandora is missing a huge oppurtunity to resurrect Rdio.

8. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I don’t even consider the social aspect to Spotify. I dabbled once and it’s just terrible.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  9. copey

Regular

Was really hoping that Connect would have eventually morphed into something all users could post to and share music to. especially after the big social push last year.

David Parke likes this.
  10. SVXDan83

Regular

IMO, no one has come close to replicating all the amazing features Rdio offered. I've been lamenting the loss of Rdio a lot lately! I loved that you could see a list of all the users who listened to any content on the service. I found so much music by clicking on the profiles of total strangers who listened to the same weird stuff I did!

The recommendation engine was solid. Their New Release section was the most complete I've seen on any streaming platform. I never missed anything new by any artist I liked; the same can't be said for Apple Music!

It's really a shame. Rdio doubled down on UI/UX and, unfortunately, marketing gimmicks from competitors won out and the superior platform was squashed. As a true music lover, there hasn't been (and likely won't ever be) a 1:1 replacement of Rdio. (Unless Pandora decides to just pull that source code back out and dust it off to apply to their platform).

11. jorbjorb

7 rings

spotify can't do it either.

12. iMessage is quite good IMO.

13. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

In all fairness, I haven't tried it, but I don't really see the appeal.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. SVXDan83

Regular

iMessage is easily one of the Top 3 reasons to remain fully in the Apple Ecosystem! ...Connect not so much... I think the problem is there is just too much overlap to other existing, established platforms. Everyone followed the bands and musicians they loved on Facebook or Twitter long before Connect ever came into existence. Much like Ping, Connect was a solution looking for a problem.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. I use Apple Music and have for years and I was today years old when I realized there was a social component at all

16. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

something that i'm 100% sure happens every single day:
    couple match on tinder
    chat on tinder
    exchange numbers
    one of them has green bubbles and the other one immediately ghosts them

SVXDan83 likes this.
  17. SVXDan83

Regular

Is there anything more frustrating than seeing the blue bubble turn green? :-)

studskalny and Wharf Rat like this.
  18. studskalny

I met the devil and I stared her in the eyes

This is old but just catching up and want to say that I've missed Rdio every day since it was dissolved. I'm bad at explaining to people what made it so great, since they've usually never heard of it, but I mention it all the time. I thought Pandora would essentially rebirth it but who knows what they're going to do (if anything). The amount of new music I discovered from its recommendation features was mind blowing. Hope they do something, at least!

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.