Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why Are All of Spotify’s Most-Streamed Artists Men?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Kaitlyn Tiffany, writing for Vox:

Looking at the past several years of the charts, this polarization looks like more than garden-variety cultural sexism — it looks like something new that our algorithm-based platforms have wrought. The biggest question facing Spotify in the coming year should be whether it can do something about it.

2. bloodinthesand

Regular

Maybe the sheer fact there are more men music artists than women. Nothing more, nothing less

The Format, Brent and xthisislove like this.
  3. It's usually a good idea to read the article before commenting.

4. Snowflakehater_503 Dec 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 7, 2018)
    Snowflakehater_503

people take way too much time dissecting data and this and that. in 2018 people are over analyzing and looking for some magical quota of everyone being represented instead of taking at face value statistics of whats popular and what people are choosing to listen to. If you want more females listed in play results its up to promotors, marketing, radio djs and a handful of moving parts to do their part. if one area loses steam it messes every link in the chain. Bottom line is their isn't one moving part towards changing the culture/scene. People want to listen to a woman beater like xxxtentacion but then the internet mob gets upset with baby its cold outside. mind you many other hip hop lyrics on the radio are much worse yet no outrage. Its a weird world to figure out

DDD likes this.
  5. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

If that's true, then you need to ask yourself why that is.
    It's almost like women aren't given the same opportunities as men.

6. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

"snowflakehater" omggg now I know why I stopped visiting the news threads

7. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Why does every sexist burner account always bring up “rap/hip hop is worse!” Like they think they’re the first person to stumble on some profound truth lmao. We get it chad, you’re also racist.

8. Snowflakehater_503

love how you bring the race card. stretching that one just a wee bit aren't we. The social justice mob is literally feigning about this song on the internet yet some yoho person of color releases a trash song next week with shitty lyrics but somehow they are protected. because if you call that out then your a rassist. k got it!

9. mad

I was right. Prestigious

@Snowflakehater_503 have you heard of critical thinking? it's slated to be 2019 hottest trend

10. personalmaps

No you absolute ding dong the point is that there are lyrics equally as bad and worse written in genres you like but you don’t call them out because you aren’t inherently biased to them.

KidLightning and Connor like this.
  11. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

“Your a rassist” when you call out problematic things in music but derail to call out a predominately poc dominated genre as if you magically found the source of the issue. Your name also makes you a pos so I don’t really think you have anything of value to say anyway.

Connor likes this.
  12. personalmaps

I also don’t get it because like, snowflake hater edge bro, you were almost there. You had a great point about how it takes systematic change to fix the problems in the music industry and create opportunities for everyone. But instead of taking that true and correct though, you were like, I know I’ll call someone an SJW and bag on POC.

13. what is reading

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Can you just imagine how clever this person thinks they are? They probably sat chuckling to themselves as they wrote out the username “snowflakehater”. And when they brought up sexism in hip-hop they were certain that they were the first to do so....

Here is the thing though, in 2018 snowflake has become the most tired, lazy and nonsensical insult to use against left leaning people. If it makes me a “snowflake” because i care about people and things... then you hating “snowflakes” makes you an asshole.

And yes the fact that you have to single out hip-hop unveils a biased in you against that culture and scene which is heavily influenced by race. There are plenty of other genres and scenes drenched in sexism and misogyny. You chose to single out hip hop therefore you chose to play your racist card.

Brent likes this.
  15. moosic

Hear hear!

This is a complex issue, and not all people in this thread are appreciating that. I’d argue that’s a much bigger problem than any gender disparity in stream count.

16. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

“This is a story about a lonely, lonely man. He lived in a lonely house. On a lonely street. In a lonely part of the world. But of course, he had the internet.

The internet, as you know was his friend. You could say, his best friend. They would play with each other everyday. Watching videos of humans doing all sorts of things. Having sex with each other. Informing people on what was wrong with them and their life. Playing games with young children at home with their parents. One day the man, whose name was Snowflakehater_503, turned to his friend the internet and he said ‘Internet, do you love me?’ The internet looked at him and said ‘Yes. I love you very very very very very very much. I am your best friend. In fact, I love you so much that I never ever want us to be apart ever again ever’. ‘I would like that’ said the man.

And so they embarked on a life together. Wherever the man went, he took his friend. The man and the internet went everywhere together, except of course the places where the internet could not go. They went to the countryside. They went to birthday parties of the children of some of his less important friends. Different countries. Even the moon. When the man got sad, his friend had so many clever ways to make him feel better. He would get him cooked animals, and show him the people having sex again, and he would always ALWAYS agree with him. This one was the man’s favourite and it made him very happy.

The man trusted his friend so much. ‘I feel like I could tell you anything’ he said, on a particularly lonely day. ‘You can. You can tell me anything. I’m your best friend. Anything you say to me will stay strictly between you and the internet’. And so he did. The man shared everything with his friend. All of his fears and desires, all of his loves past and present. All of the places he had been and was going and pictures of his penis. He would tell himself ‘man does not live by bread alone’. And then he died. In his lonely house. On the lonely street. In that lonely part of the world. You can go on his Facebook.....”

17. lowlevel0wl Dec 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 9, 2018)
    lowlevel0wl

Lurking Since 2005

Hey Chorus.fm and Jason! I'm a registered and lifelong democrat. I support the LGBT+ community and all that it reasonably stands for. I am advocate for women's rights and the right to call yourself an american regardless of race or religion. I voted for Bernie twice, both in the Primaries and the National Election. The white man has been (US wise) historically oppressive and is afraid of losing power, and therefore, should share that power (and wealth). There is certainly a demographic of women, blacks, hispanics and otherwise that need to be heard and I hope Trump is voted out in 2020 for a better person with reasonable values. But I am also a Mathematics graduate and a teacher and this "AI is sexist" article is strange to me. Look everyone of AP.net...Chorus.net...whatever you call it, I've been a lurker/member since 2005 (my old username was TheOceanTheCity, if that means anything) and rarely do I feel the need to say something. But come on, sometimes this website, and the news posts intermittently, seems like a big circle jerk of virtue signaling. And Jason, I've been a lurker for 13+ years brother, I grew up with this site, but just because something seems offensive and sexist does not mean it actually is. I appreciate your news posts, updates etc... I will continue to visit this site, but the strange obsession with very specific "progressive" (and I mean ""PROGRESSIVE"") articles that do nothing but further the race and sex divide, pitting one group, against another and not to mention the idea to skew algorithms to appease groups that feel unheard is not in the benefit of the bigger picture. There's an unnatural obsession with your race vs my race and your sex vs my sex instead of looking at individuals, and I think this is a problem, and a problem we'll see unfold over the course of the next few years as we perpetuate this division. I love music, I love inclusivity, but I am not a sexist because I listen to more male artists than female artists, and an AI ( I repeat, an AI) is not sexist because it recommends more male music to a person listening to primarily male artists. I don't wish to have a back and forth, like I said, I am a lurker and a bit of loner. It's okay if you try and tear down each of my points and call me a Russian bot or a confused liberal, or a simple LOL will suffice, it really is okay, I expect that. It's also okay if no one responds at all...in fact that's what I hope for. But in all of this cultural turmoil, we have to consider the truth, the bottom line, and the fact that we are all human, despite race, sex, or political preference, and this is why I hope an alien invasion occurs sooner than later. I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion, I really am, but I promise I'm on your side and the side of a better community. I'm going to go listen to some Get-Up Kids now.

DesireToPlease and moosic like this.
  18. personalmaps Dec 9, 2018
    personalmaps

What are paragraphs I guess.

Anyway, to make this simple: a good music recommending AI should show you things that are similar but slightly outside your wheelhouse to introduce you to legitimately new and different artists to be excited about. This could and should include recommending you things from a diverse array of artists.

A bad music recommending AI shows you carbon copies of everything you’re already listening to because it’s easier and the human beings coding it are either unaware or apathetic to their inherent biases. Thus you, guy listening to 800 bands of only white dudes, gets to arrive at the conclusion that we are all overreacting because it’s “just how it works,” even though humans built it and could build it better.

It’s just so lazy to look at tools like this and pretend nothing could possibly be improved about them.

19. moosic

Hear hear!

Spoken like a true Jordan Peterson fan. But if you’re not, check him out.

Btw, the author can’t help but let her own biases spill out, which I’ll criticize as lazy journalism. For instance, taking an unnecessary dig at Ed Sheeran, or then saying that it’s ‘almost offensive’ for the AI to suggest female artists that are too obvious for her all-knowing musical knowledge. I may be in the minority, but she used the example of Joni Mitchell, who I actually don’t know! So if the algorithm suggested her to me, it would be doing it’s job regarding female artist suggestions.

This article may or may not bring up valid points, but like lowlevel0wl said, don’t use it for your own virtue signaling. Try critical thinking and acknowledge that life is way more complex than you.

I, too, am going to listen to some Get Up Kids. No, actually I’m going to listen to just Reggie and the Full Effect.

lowlevel0wl likes this.
  20. DDD

For the love of f***. I white girl can't with you people lol

21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Great first post lol. Go back to not contributing.

Zilla, laraheart, Connor and 2 others like this.
  22. ghostxvapor Dec 9, 2018
    ghostxvapor

Trusted

I remember a while back on Facebook a friend asked for recommendations, specifically women in music. "Who are your favorites?" They made sure to say ultra popular artists don't count. It was wild seeing people really struggle to come up with more than one or two. I realized my friend didn't want a recommendation. I was so happy to see that post as it helped me add a lot more female (& non-binary) artists to music I listen to and things I watch. I enjoy spotify but I really hope streaming services really get this under control.
    On an unrelated note, how many people really feel the need to create an alternate account to play devil's advocate? Like what the heck is wrong with you?

tyramail and mad like this.
  23. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I'd love to respond to this, but I honestly have no idea what you're saying.

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

This thread is like classic AP.net news page. which isn't a compliment lol