Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

“52 Things I Learned in 2018”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

I thoroughly enjoyed this post:

On Netflix, the artwork is personalised based on your viewing history. An Uma Thurman fan will see the classic Pulp Fiction poster showing Uma, but a John Travolta fan will be shown a different image.

Fortune Cookie Advertising is exactly what you’d expect, and it works because “when [customers] see the ad on the back, they are likely to feel they received it for a reason”.

A Chinese podcast called “How to Make Your Voice More Attractive” has 218,000 paying subscribers. Overall, the market in Chinese self-help subscription podcasts was worth $7.3 billion in 2017, compared with just $314 million for all advertising-funded podcasts in the US.

2. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I'm moving to Tunisia.

dadbolt and Jason Tate like this.
  3. I found out about this a few months ago from a disappointing angle. Netflix, if they have an idea of what your skin color might be, will show you posters with film characters of the same skin color—even if that character had just 3 minutes of screentime.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. jorbjorb

7 rings

I need to install some blue lights in my home.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. That’s linked in there too. I cut the extra links in my block quote.

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

This was a great read, thanks for posting

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

1. Advertisers place a single brown pixel on a bright background in a mobile ad. It looks like dust, so users try to wipe it off. That registers as a click, and the user is taken to the homepage. [Lauren Johnson]
    Screen-Shot-2017-04-01-at-2.14.36-PM.png
    [​IMG]

elemenohpe, JRGComedy and Jason Tate like this.
  8. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

Almost 20 years ago, Japanese railway stations started installing blue LED panels on platforms as a suicide prevention measure, believing that blue light improves mood. A ten-year study found an 84% decline in suicide attempts at stations where lights were installed, with no decline at stations without lights.

Wow.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.