Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘We’re Not Gonna Do It Man. We Can’t. We Quit.’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Luke O’Neil talked with a variety of artists, including Dan Campbell of The Wonder Years, Riley from Thrice, and Geoff from Thursday about their lowest moments being in a band:

It definitely tests your mettle. I think the biggest thing is, the things you learn from being in band are, well, problem solving is close to the top of that list. What are you going to do if you’re stranded in Germany? What are you going to do when your battery dies on the van and you’re in the middle of the West Texas desert and you have to get to the show the next day? I think without times like that you don’t learn those lessons and you break down. But we just kind of leaned on each other a little bit and said ok let’s fucking figure it out. We can either quit or figure it out.

2. DandonTRJ Nov 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 21, 2018)
    DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Holy shit.

Holy SHIT.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Much respect to these guys for sharing these stories.

3. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Holy shit. I can't even imagine what passing a 9mm kidney stone must have felt like.

JRGComedy likes this.
  4. BradBradley

Regular

Probably kind of like pushing a boney rock out of your tiny pee hole.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Keith would tell his story completely differently than everyone else. And glad he didn't finish the job.

Also glad that our Canadian health care system served Geoff well!

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  6. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Wow that was an awesome article!

7. Zip It Chris Nov 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 21, 2018)
    Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Literally came in here to post this from the article...glad everyone else recognized that Keith Buckley is not of this world...

But at around maybe the fifth stupid, hollow thud my brain made some desperate, hail mary sort of blind lunge at self preservation and responded with a thought of its own which was this: “If your band members come in here and find you bleeding with your dick out it’s going to be even more embarrassing than what happened last night. Just quit instead you fucking coward.”

8. Geez these stories are crazy. Brendan and Keith’s in particular were jaw dropping. Geoff’s was really good too despite not having anything to do with the actual topic

9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I feel like maybe The Lawrence Arms need a new booking agent? Don't get me wrong, they have my full sympathy, but it seems as though they have a lot of bad experiences being booked on the wrong tours or with the wrong opening acts...

MrCon likes this.
  10. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

As soon as I saw that Brendan Kelly was involved, I knew it would be wonderful.

Keith's story just left me wondering what he'd done.

Guilherme Brandao likes this.
  11. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

That was a really great article;

Just like Riley said about romanticising life on the road, I like reading this stories that show a little bit of how it's really like to be a band on the road. It's definitely not for everyone.

Also, the way Geoff told his story made me laugh out loud; but geez man, that must've hurt like hell.

12. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

Me too man, me too
    Probably partying too hard

13. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

So at what point do you evaluate your input before sharing it? Just curious.

14. BradBradley

Regular

Snoblin, you’re making an assumption when you suggest that such a point exists. I am pleased to have piqued your curiousity!

Snoblin likes this.