Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rihanna Surpasses Beatles on Hot 100 Chart

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Robbie Daw, writing for Idolator:

Rihanna has now spent more weeks at #1 on the main singles chart than the Beatles. Rihanna’s 14 chart-topping songs have racked up 60 weeks at the upper-most spot on the Hot 100, though it took nine years and 11 months do so. (RiRi’s first #1 was “SOS,” which hit the top in May 2006.) The Beatles amassed 20 chart-topping singles on the Hot 100 over a six year and four month period, between February 1964 and June 1970 — all for a cumulative 59 weeks at #1.

2. SoundwaveUproar Apr 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2016)
    SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

Alright, I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but if we can all agree on a song I'd be down to try and correct this injustice.

54321Blast0ff likes this.
  3. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

God is crying.

4. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I remember going to see Kanye West in 2008 and Rihanna opened for him. I was incredibly surprised at how many hit songs she had back then, and she's only amassed more the last 8 years. Not surprised at all that she was the one who took down that record.

5. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

She is a legend - I personally see her as "Beyonce level" now in that they are both on the cusp of being all-time pop icons like Madonna/Mariah/Whitney Houston etc.

6. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

Hit after hit after hit. This woman is unstoppable.

7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Yeah, this isn't surprising at all. Good for her, she's been a huge star from the start.

8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Totally unsurprising but awesome. She's been one of the two or three biggest pop stars for so long now.

Also people forget how short the Beatles' career was. They must've had a new song like every other week

9. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

But the Beatles play instruments and are an actual band!

10. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

[​IMG]

11. The Format

Regular

'Work' sounds like Jibberish. Paul and Ringo should get the Beatles going again..

Not sure who should replace John and George...

12. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Their kids...

13. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Not sure if trolling or..

14. duritzfan13 Apr 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2016)
    duritzfan13

all we have is time

Not sure if they were trolling, but I'm certainly not. Gibberish sums it up pretty well. By far her worst single to date.

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

why, its a meaningless number warped by the way the beatles career was in the US and how charts work now vs then, its not even like theyve had the record, mariah has had it for years and years and years
    mariah did, rihanna isn't even #1
    just because you dont recognize or understand baradian patois doesnt make it "gibberish"

16. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I think Work is such a jam, I wouldn't call it her worst single. I know a lot of people were pleased with her returning to her Barbadian roots and it definitely comes off as culturally insensitive to say it sounds like gibberish -- unless you're referring the sheer amount of times the word "work" is repeated. I dig the song but I can admit that it can easily become infuriatingly annoying...but imma still dance my ass off when it comes on.

And yeah, definitely not surprised with her numbers but I would really like to see them put up against the Beatles worldwide as opposed to just in the US. I'm also kind of surprised that her career has spanned nearly ten years on the charts, though it makes total sense when I think about it. She hasn't even hit 30 yet! Respect.

17. St. Nate

I believe she is actually doing a Jamaican patois in "Work."

ChaseTx and Chaplain Tappman like this.
  18. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

ive seen people call it jamaican, barbadian and bajan creole, i honestly dont know if its only one or all three i just know its rooted in the region somewhere haha.

St. Nate likes this.
  19. ChaseTx

I love "Work".

20. St. Nate

I hate work, but I love "Work".

AndrewSoup likes this.
  21. ChaseTx

Work sucks. "Work" rules.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  22. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Culturally insensitive? The dialect isn't what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the repetition and how all of the repeated words just slur together. "Pon De Replay" was a total jam and has Barbadian influences. This one is just not as good IMO.

23. St. Nate

Ah, the dialect.

24. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Ah, no. "Work, work, work, work, work" is what I'm referring to. Quit making issues out of non-issues. I'm not talking about the song from a cultural point of view. People can dislike things without having an insensitive reason behind it, FYI.

25. St. Nate

Ah, the dialect.