Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mae – “The Overview”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I feel special being the 3rd person to watch this video.

That being said, this song isn't good at all. Pretty disappointed by the new stuff.

3. dlemert

Trusted

is...is this an owl city song

Chase Tremaine and warriorsam like this.
  4. Dog Fish

Mutt

Oh my god. I hate it. Worst verse of the decade contender?

5. They played this song live on their current tour and man was it weird. It doesn't translate live at all, and the recording is still a letdown. This MUST be the worst song on the upcoming album, though... I loved everything on the teaser EP.

awakeohsleeper, Lucas27 and CMilliken like this.
  6. sharkey55

I really hate to disrespect a bands art but this song is terrible. I really hope this album redeems itself after this song.

7. Dog Fish

Mutt

Imagine if this song came out before the preorders last week...

8. stringerebrock

I enjoy aspects of it. Not the best thing i've heard from them - that is for sure.

9. I wasn't expecting something like this but I quite like it.

jasonmerch likes this.
  10. jasonmerch

The general consensus is that it sucks but I quite enjoy it. I think it's the most unique mae song to date. One of the things about the new Mae songs is that they haven't instantly clicked with me but have grown with me over time. Also, mae has always been the type of band that isn't afraid to try new things. Also, this is the only song on the album that sounds anything like this. The rest is more straight forward and similar to the rest of the songs they've dropped so far

11. In these quarters Singularity remains underrated as hell and that's what this new track reminds me of.

jasonmerch likes this.
  12. dlemert

Trusted

the riff is pretty great, and so is the pre-chorus. everything else is pretty off-putting to me.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  13. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This song would be really good if the singer was actually singing. I’m a person who generally dislikes spoken word stuff, but I think I just learned that I didn’t actually dislike any spoken word thing compared to how much I dislike that.

I just can’t believe a band with three albums and three EPs and a record label did something like this and no one told them ‘no, stop, that’s a terrible idea.’

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  14. blogbacktome

Very different for them.

Incubus "Blood On The Ground" ish Riff and sound FX + Say Anything Verse Melody + Very early 00's Chorus influences + Singularity Era 'Release Me' Bridge = Might be my favorite of all the songs released so far.

15. Paul Marmo

Play ANY song off of the Everglow and then play this.

16. totallysweet

Are we about to kiss?

yikes.

17. jorbjorb

7 rings

Well that was interesting...

18. Spenny

Regular

Ouch. Not sure what other word to use...

19. Lucas27

Trusted

I can totally see why this is off putting. Totally. But man, I like it. And more with each listen. Maybe I've just loved everything else off this album so much that I'm just blindly on board with whatever comes next.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  20. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Admittedly Mae have always been a band I've heard of but hadn't really heard - so i went in with a very open mind to listen to this. And despite a pleasant opening riff and guitar tone, the vocal melodies are super awkward, especially the (pre?) chorus and yes'.

Sidenote: I didn't realize Tooth & Nail were still active, I guess because the bands i used to associate with them have moved elsewhere.

21. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Was different for sure but I enjoyed it. Looking forward to hearing the album as a whole. One of my favorite bands!

22. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

This song is a mess.

23. ineverlose

Sums it up pretty well, I think!

24. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I have no idea what this band is doing anymore. This song is a total train wreck

Pepetito likes this.
  25. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Just brutal