Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus Shares Early Blink-182 Lyric Drafts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Gotta keep the brand alive.

Raku likes this.
  3. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

The Untitled album makes me sadder than shit.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I listened to Neighborhoods for the first time in years yesterday and I was practically in tears, but for probably a different reason.

5. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

Man, I can't believe this record is 15 next month. Best blink record without a doubt.

6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Idk Neighborhoods for all its faults still has some gems and I can't help but like it more than California. Wishing Well is so good.

Raku, Dan O'Neill, Zach and 2 others like this.
  7. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

Sometimes I like to pretend that Box Car Racer is actually a Blink record from an alt universe.

8. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I read that these lyrics were from an upcoming untitled blink-182, and I thought to myself, "Man, they're getting lazy with their lyrics..."

What does that make AvA then?

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  9. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

Something different I guess? Same with +44. But BCR is Tom, Travis, Jerry Finn and even Mark on one song. Also, to me the production sounds so much similar to TOYPAJ. It's like this weird half Blink record that exists... Or you know just a side project from one of the members.

I wonder what that record would've sounded like if Mark was involved. They could've easily called it a Blink record and kept on riding the success at the time. I've read why Tom needed to make something on his own, i just find it interesting that he chose to use the same drummer and same producer. The record sounds like Blink to me.

Raku likes this.
  10. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

+44 was also produced by Jerry Finn but for some reason I don't see it as a Blink album the same way I see BCR as a Blink album.

Raku, theasteriskera and DannyZach like this.
  11. CMilliken

Trusted

I definitely prefer Neighborhoods to California too.

Raku, Dan O'Neill and Ska Senanake like this.
  12. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Maybe because the bitterness that existed between Mark and Tom? Kind of altered it from being a Blink side project to being it's own entity. With that being said I wish California was more in the same vein as +44. That +44 album is so much better.

Raku and theasteriskera like this.
  13. AshlandATeam Oct 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 17, 2018)
    AshlandATeam

Trusted

I always get confused by blink fans (not just in this thread or on this site, but everywhere) who talk about what might have been or what should have been. We got an absolutely classic run of albums from Dude Ranch to Untitled; we got two comeback records that different parts of the fan base are passionate about; we got side projects that were nearly as good as the classic blink records. Oh, and we got endless entertainment talking about all the extracurriculars. Plus, the band is still going - for all we know, their next album is the best.

From where I’m sitting, there’s nothing to be upset about or sad about or wish went differently. blink’s history and discography is absolutely amazing, especially compared to most of their peers.

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

It fits perfectly between TOYPAJ and Untitled.

Raku and KidLightning like this.
  15. snaps

Regular Supporter

Agreed.

KidLightning likes this.
  16. snaps

Regular Supporter

In a bizzaro universe.

17. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Agreed! Maybe Tom will rejoin now that his alien project is 37 million dollars in debt!

Raku and snaps like this.
  18. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Do you really think blink-182 is better with Tom in it? As a whole. You can argue that he was a better musician or better fit if you'd like, but the band didn't tour, didn't play shows outside of full tours, and they didn't put out new music. They arguably weren't even a band with Tom in it.

19. zachmacD

Trusted

Quick question about the TOYPAJI era of the band: Did Blink get bigger with that album? Were "the rock show" and "First date" as big as the singles from the prior album?

I was only in 3rd grade when Enema came out but even then I knew these guys were huge. Then from what I remember they had a resurgence with Untitled. Is this correct or was I just young and uninformed?

20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I was in high school for Enema/TOYPAJ, and it sure seemed like Enema made the band huge, and while Rock Show was a hit, it wasn’t as big as any of the three singles off Enema. And honestly, it seemed way bigger than Untitled, to the general public.

That’s all anecdotal, though. Not sure about sales and airplay.

Dan O'Neill and zachmacD like this.
  21. AshlandATeam

Trusted

According to Wikipedia, Enema sold 15 million records worldwide and is certified 5x platinum in the States; TOYPAJ sold 14 million records worldwide and is certified 2x platinum in the States. And Untitled is at 7 million worldwide, and 2x in the States.

zachmacD likes this.
  22. zachmacD

Trusted

That's pretty incredible. From just those 3 albums they've sold almost 40 million records. I am surprised by the huge drop in album sails even though 7 million is quite a lot compared to today's album sales.

These guys deserve it though. Say what you want about Tom's live performances, Mark, Tom, and Travis made awesome albums and were fun live. The summer I graduated high school all of my buddies, my girlfriend, and I went to see these guys on their first reunion tour. Its still one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Almost like something out of a movie. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get into their music since the Untitled

AshlandATeam likes this.
  23. Ska Senanake

Trusted

If Tom is IN IT and by that I mean "wants to be there" then 100% absolutely. If not, then no. Maybe the aliens will tell Tom he needs to rejoin the band and he will be reinvigorated, stranger things have happened.

CyberInferno and Landrick Robert like this.
  24. Landrick Robert

Stay Gold

The +44 album has always sounded "hollow" to me if that makes any sense to anyone else.

KyleAtGalaxy likes this.
  25. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

I think at some point Tom will try to come back. He’ll probably only be doing it for the paycheck though. Then we’ll finally get the proper follow up to Dogs Eating Dogs

theasteriskera likes this.