Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad Religion – “The Profane Rights of Man”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

This band still owns. True North was a goddamn masterpiece that needs more attention. These guys aren't pulling a Rolling Stones and just putting out shit to sell concert tickets. They're still a great band after 30 years, especially live.

Hope the new album rips.

Drewski, smoke4thecaper and JRGComedy like this.
  3. elroyo

kids are alt right sucked imho, this one is much better. we need some good political punk rips, especially right now.

4. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I halfway agree - I don't think it sucks, but it was not what I wanted from the first taste of a new album.

My biggest problem with it is the plodding beat. Bad Religion can do slow and mid-tempo songs that also rip ("To Another Abyss") but the drums on this one are just flat out wrong. It shouldn't be a straight beat; the drums should be swung in triplet. You can hear it better in the drum fills before the bridge and chorus when he's playing triplets on the toms - the song jumps a bit then. But flat four-on-the-floor is not what I come to Bad Religion for, and I think most would concur, especially when great percussion is a hallmark of their last decade of work.

Anyway, that's too much inside baseball from a drum nerd, but I still think this band needs as many ears as possible. Fuck, just re-release The Empire Strikes First - if anything, they were too optimistic on that record about where we would be.

Edit: Also, if you slept on the new Anti-Flag record from the end of 2017, put that on your short list of punk rippers. That album is a fucking clinic for what punk should be in the era of 45.

smoke4thecaper and JRGComedy like this.
  5. choke

Skatecat

Yeah, much better than The Kids Are Alt-Right, which imo was a big miss.

6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Haha I'm also a drum nerd and feel the same about that song/Brook's contributions as a whole

fredwordsmith likes this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Bad religion stuff is so relevant today.

Kids Are sort reminded me of Lose As Directed.

New song is so on point as a proper follow up to True North. Pleasantly surprised they released a new song. I hope a new album isn’t too far off. I listen to BR records all the time so it’ll be nice to add more music to the discography again.

JRGComedy likes this.
  8. DesolateEarth

Birb

New song has strong Empire Strikes First vibes. Diggin it.

9. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Brooks' contributions to their revitalized sound are immeasurable.

Sure, Brett came back and that's great. But Brooks' five album run is one of, if not the best, stretch in BR (and therefore punk rock) history. Even albums that didn't get as much traction like New Maps and Dissent of Man have some unbelievable songs on them ("Meeting of the Minds," "Resist Stance," "Requiem for Dissent," "New Dark Ages") that slay live.

In a scene that props up terrific drummers, he should get more credit.

JRGComedy likes this.
  10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Bad Religion has been a can’t miss band for decades. They don’t really try and reinvent the wheel. Short songs, fast music, guitar solo parts, insightful lyrics and themes. Instead of getting bored as a band they take brakes. So ready for a new album.

Greg’s voice has held up so amazingly well through the years. Even member changes haven’t pulled this band of course much over the years.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  11. J.Dick

Regular

Great song from a top 3 band for me.