Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge’s To the Stars in Deep Debt

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Eric Berger, writing for Ars Technica:

Put another way, after a year of fundraising, Tom DeLonge’s alien conspiracy business is $37.4 million in debt. The financial filing states that To the Stars intends to remain in business over the next 12 months by selling additional stock.

Raku likes this.
  2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Man we’re all gonna feel real dumb if, one of these days, we find out he was right all along about the aliens.

3. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Was bound to go in debt from beginning, but thats typical. I wouldnt say its a bust yet. Too early to tell. Go get em' Tom!

Raku likes this.
  4. tobytobes

Regular

Someone call @Jason Tate , he warned us all months ago!

Raku, beachdude and Jonathan like this.
  5. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Has he ever spoken about the phoenix lights? Im very curious to hear his take on that event.

Raku likes this.
  6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Ska Senanake, Raku, beachdude and 2 others like this.
  7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I have no idea what those even are. I’m just 1000% sure Tom isn’t right. Which is why I’ll feel real dumb if it turns out he is!

All Systems Goku likes this.
  8. The Company has incurred losses from operations and has an accumulated deficit at June 30, 2018 of $37,432,000. These factors raise doubt about the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern.

That seems bad.

Raku, beachdude and bradsonemanband like this.
  9. scottlechowicz Oct 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2018)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The good news is that Tom is guaranteed his $100k. That way investors know that he is super serious even though the company is tens of millions of dollars in the red.

Raku likes this.
  10. Oh man, I re-read some of that thread you linked.

This was always going to be a massive shit show.

11. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

The funny thing is that thread could have easily just been the first two comments.

Raku likes this.
  12. ben.

..wait, what's that? Tom wants to re-join blink?! Effective immediately..?!!

Raku, beachdude, Dog Fish and 4 others like this.
  13. The Format

Regular

Tom is going to have to go for the cash grab and join Blink again. Or better, Box Car Racer.

Raku, beachdude, Brent and 2 others like this.
  14. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Look - if this somehow gets a new Box Car Racer record and/or tour - I wouldn't be that mad about it.

Raku, beachdude, CSWAPPO and 2 others like this.
  15. Bambros Oct 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2018)
    Bambros

They are only $1,914,506 in debt as of June 30, 2018. Looking at the balance sheet on the SEC website...the $37.4M is their accumulated deficit, which is just the sum of all of their net losses since they began operations. In fact, at least $30M of the accumulated deficit was caused by stock-based compensation expense, which is non-cash and isn't debt-related ( i.e. doesn't need to be paid back to anyone).

Definitely not a promising investment, but they are not $37.4M in debt. Not even close. So that news clip at the top of this thread is incorrect.

16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

He could be 100% right about the aliens, and it'd still have been a stupid investment/business model he was pedaling.

Raku, beachdude, GEM37 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

4ED17016-10E1-43FB-8AD1-1C71CA6D0E38.gif

Raku, beachdude, Dumblecore and 3 others like this.
  18. You want ArsTechnica's comment section to argue about their use of debt or deficit.

Raku likes this.
  19. gbuffers

England.

At least Tom gets his guaranteed salary!

Raku likes this.
  20. Bambros

It's not an argument though, it's just how accounting works....I would suggest changing what you are quoting from that article because that statement is factually incorrect and verified to be false. They don't owe anyone $37.4M....

21. They just have a $37.4M deficit. The people at Ars used debt as a synonym. Many people do. (Just look at the way we talk about economics and the debt/deficit on virtually any political TV show to see that.) I can't change what they wrote to be more technically correct. I think most people understand these words are used regularly to mean the same thing.

Raku and beachdude like this.
  22. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Tom’s response made me LOL

Brent likes this.
  23. Iain

Regular

"BLATENT LIE — APPARENTLY, THIS WRITER CAN’T READ. BTW- TTSA never even raised $37m!!? So how in the hell did we spend it?! Lord. I ask all of you that believe in the @tothestarsacademymission to go write a complaint on their website RIGHT NOW for trying to hurt an admirable effort to help humanity by using negative attacks and—-> lies. OUR LETTER TO THEM: Dear Ars Technica— I am writing you regarding the article posted to Ars Technica this morning titled ‘All the dumb things? Blink 182 front man’s UFO project $37 million in debt’ by Eric Berger. We were surprised Ars Technica would allow Mr. Berger to post such an article without asking either Mr. DeLonge or To The Stars Academy of Arts and Science for comment. This article is highly misleading and grossly mischaracterizes statements in an SEC filing. Had Mr. Berger bothered to reach out to us for comment this could have been prevented.
    Mr. Berger apparently did not EVEN READ the filing in its entirety, and clearly did not understand the excerpt of the SEC filing he quotes. The approximate $37 million stockholders’ deficit is NOT DEBT as he characterized it but is attributable to stock-based compensation expense. IT IS NOT RELATED TO THE OPERATIONAL RESULTS OF THE COMPANY. The Consolidated Balance Sheets of To The Stars Academy of Arts and Science in the SEC filing quoted by your author clearly shows the approximately $37 million deficit is attributed to Stockholders’ Equity (Deficit). The filing goes on to explain the mechanism for calculating stock-based compensation and details the various grants of stock options by the company. Mr. Berger’s characterizations of this as debt implies that it stems from traditional borrowings.
    Had Mr. Berger bothered to email or call us we could have directed him to these portions of the SEC filing and walked him through it. For Mr. Berger to make the conclusions he did on incomplete research and his own interpretations without contacting Mr. DeLonge or the company is inexcusable.
    We request that you print this letter in full within the article as our statement."

Raku likes this.
  24. “It’s not debt we just ... uh ... paid ourselves lots of stock ... and uh yeah, thanks for buying those shares that are 1/100th the value.”

25. All Systems Goku

Well Joe Rogan is giggling somewhere right now. He called bullshit super hard on his Podcast when Tom was on.

Raku and beachdude like this.