Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brendan Urie and Halsey Team Up at Coachella

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Panic! at the Disco and Halsey teamed up last night at Coachella for a combination of “New Americana” and “I Write Sins Not Tragedies.” A video can be found below.

@halsey thank YOU for allowing a musician like me to be a part of something so great. I had a blast and you are wonderful.

— Brendon Urie (@brendonurie) April 17, 2016

If that doesn't bring a smile to your face you're made of stone.

2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Being essentially the same age, albeit slightly older, and ostensibly growing up in the exact same area of the country, I know exactly the feeling Halsey felt with Panic! at the Disco, because I felt it too. They (and Fall Out Boy) changed my life in a number of profound ways at a time when I certainly needed them to. And growing up in the area I did, I know that she probably felt a lot of the homophobia and xenophobia from her peers that I did for listening to that style of music at that time. I remember the first time I was called the other f word, and it was from a peer at school who found out I was listening to A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. At that time, I didn't even know what that word meant, and even though it didn't even apply to me, I still felt it's power and it's hurtfulness pretty innately. But that only made me take shelter in that music and those songs even more.

So to see that song, the song that epitomized those years of music, that era, performed in front of 100,000 people at Coachella, as a special, invited guest, is an incredibly powerful image, and I'm glad that Halsey, someone who assuredly felt those same comforts in that song, was the one that was able to present that image.

3. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

"Come on you fucking hipsters!!" is such a weird thing to say to hype people up hahaha, that threw me off.

4. crowntownguy

I think I'm growing into someone you can trust

Around 2:50 Urie did this fucking crazy thing where he switched from harmony to melody as soon as he realized Halsey wasn't singing anymore and sounded freaking perfect as he did it. The dude is a god.

Apparently I live under a rock because I haven't heart Halsey's music before, but this was really cool.

JRGComedy and JJ Pagan like this.
  5. Kiana Apr 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2016)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

lol I feel bad for Brendon and the life he leads of his name constantly being misspelled. I feel u, boo

6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I'm sorry to say it doesn't sound like Halsey has an ear for harmony. This performance sounds criminally unrehearsed and even that doesn't make up for it. I really like Halsey as a person and I understand she's relatively early in her career, I hope she grows into her voice but for right now, she comes off as unenthusiastic and on top of that, she sings like she's afraid of her own voice. I'll admit I've only seen a few of her live videos (never seen her live) so I'll refrain from judging too harshly but as yet I really haven't been impressed with her performance as a vocalist.

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Way to miss the point entirely.

8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

This thread is for discussion of the performance, which is what I was referring to, so I'm not sure how I missed the point. I wasn't trying to belittle the performance and I agree that it's fantastic that the two performed together. I was simply stating my thoughts upon watching the performance.

Tata Toothy likes this.
  9. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

pretty cool. Once of the best live shows I have ever seen was Panic's stadium tour they did after the release of their first album. Definitely a great performer. That tour was like a Cirque show.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I agree. Really cool that she got that opportunity, but her voice was not right for the song. Urie helped out a lot though. His ability to harmonize is insane.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  11. jorbjorb

7 rings

seriously? Haha I'll have to watch this now.

12. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

haha! Yeah, it's towards the last half of the video. Pretty funny.

jorbjorb likes this.