Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Streaming Accounts for 75% of Music Industry Revenue

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The RIAA have released their mid-year revenue report for the music industry. Patricia Hernandez, writing at The Verge, has a good rundown:

Turns out, streaming makes more money than physical CDs, digital downloads, and licensing deals combined.

Streaming in this context includes paid subscriptions to services such as Spotify and Tidal, but also digital radio broadcasts and video streaming services such as VEVO. It’s a broad category that nonetheless has made $3.4 billion dollars in 2018 so far, a total that amounts to 75 percent of overall revenue for the record industry.

2. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Just a random question- how many of you still download music (legally and otherwise) to keep in your own offline collection? I subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited and my wife does Spotify, but I still like to have an MP3 copy of the stuff I really like.

3. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

To be honest, I haven’t been actively maintaining my iTunes library for a couple of years now. I let dropcards from my vinyl purchases build up on my desk until it becomes an eyesore, then dedicate a weekend afternoon to redeeming them all. Spotify is just way more convenient.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I still use my iPod Classic for at least an hour of playback every single day. I only use Spotify for discovery or first listens to stuff I'm checking out on Fridays.

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I still only use Spotify to find new stuff, and then if I like it enough I'll buy or download it into my iTunes library. I'm literally the only person I know that does this but I still really enjoy "owning" all of my music, even if it's just digital

6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

When I first got Spotify and then Apple Music my music purchases actually increased for a while because I was finding so much I liked. I’ve chilled dramatically and now buy vinyl for what I really like but for things that really catch me (e.g. much of my EOTY list) I’ll buy one form or another.

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Definitely this. Still buy a lot of vinyl, but haven't illegally downloaded an album in a few years, and like you, often forget to even download the dropcards for months. Doesn't help that I switched to a solid state drive when buying my most recent laptop and decreased space.

8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I don’t think I’ve bought an album aside from random vinyl releases since I started using Spotify. Paying $10 to listen to whatever I want on demand is too good to pass up.