Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Sued for Gender Discrimination

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Gene Maddaus, writing at Variety:

A female sales executive sued Spotify on Tuesday, alleging that the head of sales took his staff on drug-fueled “boys’ trips” to the Sundance Film Festival, and excluded women who were better qualified.

Hong Perez filed suit in New York Supreme Court, accusing the streaming company of systemically discriminating against female employees. Perez alleges that her boss, Brian Berner, selected an all-male group to attend Sundance in 2016 and 2017, and that some of the men got into a physical altercation during one of the trips.

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

That's messed up that he's doin' "boys only" trips, but imagining someone being like "BUT IIIIIIIIIII WANTED TO DO DRUGS AT SUNDANCE" in front of the NY Supreme Court is kinda humorous.

3. Iamhollywood315

Regular

Sounds like bitter grapes and nepotism

4. DesireToPlease

Regular

Jesus

5. DesireToPlease

Regular

Boycott Spotify!

6. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Better qualified for a drug-fueled "boys" trip? That's an interesting way to write that.

Serenity Now likes this.
  7. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Y'all, I'm pretty sure she means that she and other women were more qualified to be brand and business ambassadors at Sundance and that this man took the festival as an excuse to take his pals and do drugs. Not that she wanted to go on a drug bender for work. C'mon.

edit: case and point, here's an even better pull quote:

"Perez also alleges that another Spotify executive was promoted after receiving warnings for sexual harassment, and that the executive took male sales staffers to strip clubs in Atlantic City. She also quotes the company’s CFO as saying at a town hall that “he does not care about diversity at the company,” and that an HR executive told staffers that his favorite curse word was “c—.”"

BirdPerson, mercury, Joe4th and 6 others like this.
  8. Mr. Serotonin

I read it as, There are more qualified people (women) within the company deserving of the trip.

9. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

My comment was aimed at the Variety writer for wording it the way they did. It does a disservice to the woman and her story.

10. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

As someone who has worked in the NYC ad industry for over a decade, everything in this story is believable.

11. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I don't disagree but want to point out that it can be hard to prove who is more qualified to go on a sales trip. A lot of sales in the ad industry come down to not only numbers but rapport. If she has a better sales record than the people brought on the trip, definitely a case to be made. That being said, digital publishers (and a lot of sales-type jobs in general) have been known to hire people based on how well they build relationships with potential customers. There's a running joke within my industry that there are a bunch of attractive people running around selling technology they don't full understand but keep closing deals because customers just want an excuse to spend more time with them as clients are often rewarded with tickets to events, lavish dinners and other gifts.

12. Mr. Serotonin

I wasn't really tryin' to comment on any of that :crylaugh: but i'm sure that happens sometimes.

13. HarrisonMonopoly

Regular

was the trip some sort of performance based award? if thats the case, then yeah they might have a case in court. if it was a business trip to go close deals, I feel like the court system can't really do much about it? either way, its a bad look.

14. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i mean i know some of yall are joking and i'm not gonna act like i have any spare love for executive employees of large corporations but clearly her argument is that the "business trip" was a farce by which immature rich bros can have a club, which i guarantee trickles down into "actual business"

15. DesireToPlease

Regular

I feel like taking legal action over something like this errs on the side of immature.

16. Malatesta

if you read the article it seems pretty clear that these are two distinct criticisms: there is immature, hedonistic, unprofessional bro shit going on in the company under the guise of workplace "events," and women are systemically given less power, value, and workplace engagement. not that she wants to go on a drug binge festival circuit

17. DesireToPlease

Regular

I can definitely see why she feels the way she does, but I also feel that if her boss wants to party with his boys he should be able to do so without fear of demonization. As for the termination, maybe she actually did something to violate their code of conduct. It seems we'll never know. Thus, who gives a shit?

18. Malatesta

Companies are perhaps inherently immoral, but I don't need to defend Spotify to also say that this kind of behavior is not acceptable. There are material ways we can improve the lives of women, so we should. It's highly inappropriate that corporate executives could set up internal off record deals for personal gain and drug use and "boys parties" and they should not get to avoid being "demonized" for discriminatory, gendered work place interactions that box out women

19. DesireToPlease

Regular

It's literally just an outing. Her life is fine.

20. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

nah, it's a business outing, meaning that probably the invite list should consist of those who are qualified business-wise. this isn't "a guy getting shit for going out with his boys," this is "a manager getting shit for making a business outing personal"... not sure why that's a hard distinction to make lol

21. Malatesta

you just have no idea what youre talking about

Arry likes this.