Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Music Modernization Act Passes in Senate

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ed Christman, writing at Billboard:

The long road to copyright revision is nearing its end as the U.S. Senate passed the Music Modernization Act by unanimous consent Tuesday (Sept. 18). The move mimics the House’s unilateral support, previously passing the bill by a vote of 415-0 back in April.

With the Senate’s move, the legislation has been renamed the Orrin G. Hatch Music Modernization Act in honor of the Republican senior senator from Utah — a songwriter himself — who will retire at the end of his term this year.

2. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I have so many thoughts about this that literally nobody else on this board will care about, haha. How will this effect the certified question pending before the California Supreme Court in the Flo & Eddie case on if state law protects pre-1972 recordings from unauthorized performances? The MMA's digital performance right will preempt it going forward, but can it retroactively extinguish accrued claims under state law without violating due process? Will the CSC address public performance as it pertains to terrestrial radio in light of the fact that the issue is untouched by the MMA but teed up in the ABS v. CBS case? And are people going to get mad when they realize the MMA (last time I read it) actively incentivizes the newly-created licensing agency not to locate the artists they need to pay, since any black boxed royalties will be divvied up by market share to the big publishers who are basically running everything?

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

only thing i would want named after orrin hatch is a theoretical desiccated turd dropped out of my ass that also happened to be racist

i'm too high to read this right now but maybe i'll have more thoughts later

clucky likes this.