Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Lifts Song Download Cap

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Amy X. Wang, writing at Rolling Stone:

A common gripe among Spotify users is that the app limits the number of songs that can be downloaded to phones and computers for offline listening (3,333 tracks per device, with a three-device limit, to be exact). In its latest software update, the streaming service has quietly increased the limit threefold.

A number of power-users first noticed that they were able to save more than 3,333 songs this week, and the Swedish streaming giant confirmed the change on Wednesday to Rolling Stone.

A well deserved finally.

2. K_special93 Sep 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 15, 2018)
    K_special93

Regular

Honestly the reason i left Spotify in the first place. I just might go back now that it’s increased. But you can’t really beat unlimited downloads on Apple Music. Just wish their playlist Apple Music had didn’t suck most of the time

3. Tyler Mills

Bread makes you fat?! Supporter

Now if they would just get rid of the arbitrary 10,000 song library limit for paid subscribers. Makes no sense to have a limit, it's literally just a flag that shows the songs in your library. I don't want to be forced to organize all of my music in playlists

The Format, Raku, beachdude and 3 others like this.
  4. jorbjorb

7 rings

this. Recently hit the cap.

Raku, beachdude and slickdtc like this.
  5. Logan Merrill

Pierogi

I had now idea there was a cap, I personally still use my iPod classic from like 12 years ago. I use Spotify to stream before I buy.

6. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Prestigious

I would have done the same thing...if the hard drive inside of it didn't die 7 years ago. I used the hell out of my Ipod back in the day.

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Didn't realize there was a cap - but it sounds like i use the service differently than most. If I'm on a computer or streaming from my phone/laptop/xbox at home I tend to just have my long list of followed artists that I'll pick albums to stream, and then I'm constantly changing the collection of albums I have downloaded to my phone for my commute/car. But I'd never have anywhere near 3,333 songs downloaded at one time.

8. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I must use this service differently as well. I probably only have around 500-1000 songs downloaded at a time through a variety of playlists. Otherwise I'm on wi-fi, or my phone data (which is unlimited) so I don't really worry about that kind of stuff.

9. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Yeah I have unlimited data and good service/hotspots most places I go, so losing the download cap is alright but not a game changer. I'd be ecstatic if they dropped the library cap and let me organize my music by year. I'm constantly having to remove stuff from my library to make room for new releases.

Raku likes this.
  10. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This is probably a dumb question, but say I have an album downloaded on the Spotify app on my phone. If I play go to my library and play it from there, it plays the files downloaded to my phone. If I just go to browse and search for it and then start playing it, it's still playing from the local files right? I just get paranoid that I'm gonna be using data playing music and not know it.

11. This is just bonkers. I can't believe they still do this.

BEsterley, Raku, beachdude and 2 others like this.
  12. Analog Drummer Sep 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2018)
    Analog Drummer

Regular

I play them on airplane often if that answers your question. I’m not sure if I answered though

I had no idea there was a limit tbh anyway. My phone gets full first.

Raku likes this.
  13. Tylar

This is good, I also wish they’d give us a way to reset our listening history. Same with Apple Music, I use both and would like more accurate recommended music of what I’m currently listening to.

Raku and slickdtc like this.
  14. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Yeah, put me in the camp that recently hit the 10,000 songs saved. I’ve yet to hit the download cap but I must be close to it; I’ve got a 2000 song playlist that is downloaded for my commutes.

It’s funny how everyone uses Spotify differently. For me, I save entire albums. So I’m usually going to the albums tab and playing through there. Or if I’m feeling adventurous, to the songs tab and shuffle play all.

Raku likes this.
  15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Huh I never knew there was a cap. I guess I just save certain albums and listen to them via my songs and then after a few months I switch them out for others so I've never hit it before.

Raku and Analog Drummer like this.
  16. adrian

high and lows, they go something like this... Supporter

Not to mention that each saved album apparently counts as a “song”.

17. Analog Drummer

Regular

That’s exactly my way

18. My phone must REALLY be old because I usually can’t download more than like 500 songs before I run out of space completely. Haha.

Raku and Analog Drummer like this.
  19. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Me too. For that same reason, I don't "save" albums aside from those I'm downloading, so I make sure when I browse through my albums to play I only can select downloaded music. Though I imagine if I didn't have a data cap that I'd do it a lot differently.

20. noKings

Regular

Didn't realize people downloaded this many songs. Weird.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  21. Analog Drummer

Regular

I got 15GB monthly data up from 9GB recently so I’ll be less likely to save any albums. But yeah mainly the new ones i know I’m gonna smash in the new few weeks I’ll download or bands I’ll be seeing live.
    But like Brad my iphone6 is well full before I’m close to even saving over 20 albums

22. BEsterley

No worries with my iPhone/Apple account...love it..I use mostly my own music, so I have no conplaints about the “recommended” side of it.