Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 – “Sincerity is Scary”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. russvanderhoof

pizza.~

Cool track. Love me some jazz.~

3. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

favorite so far.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. ben.

Remember when there was beauty in their simplicity? I was excited for the Music for Cars era - I thought they'd noticed - but this track, albeit pleasant, feels over produced and lacking substance.

marceting likes this.
  5. Not really. This is right in line with what they've been doing from day one. Layers and layers and layers of music wrapped in Matty's lyrics.

6. AVanMill17

Regular

Every time they're about to release something I think "I couldn't love this band more if I tried" then it comes out and here I am even more a fan. This song is fantastic.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  7. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Yup. I'm sold.

8. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Favorite.

9. tvck

Trusted

Imgur Image

currytheword and parkerxcore like this.
  10. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Spot on. Even a song like "Chocolate" is layers upon layers of music. That's what they do.

11. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I can't even describe how hard I'm laughing right now.

12. tvck

Trusted

lol, I was searching for this gif, didn't find it, and had to make it myself. Going in the rotation.

Also on like the 10th play of this song

parkerxcore likes this.
  13. ben.

Day one tracks like 'Antichrist' in comparison to tracks like these..? Chalk and cheese. Don't get me wrong, I hear the layers - I agree in that aspect - and I like the track - I just feel their new material is overkill.

14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

To each their own :shrug:

ben. likes this.
  15. "Antichrist" is not "simple" by any reasonable definition. So much going on in that song.

chilllll and AVanMill17 like this.
  16. currytheword

Trusted

This felt much realer and much more intimate than the previous tracks released. Easily the best by far.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  17. ben.

Acknowledging the 'beauty' in somethings simplicity and outright dismissing something as 'simple' are two different things-! Disagree with me, sure - but please don't misquote me.

18. Uh, but ... it's ... not ... simple?

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. DUCKWORTH. Sep 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 13, 2018)
    DUCKWORTH.

the "assuming you'll balloon when you remove the dirty spoon, and start consuming like a human, that's what i am assuming" line is peak matty and i'm all about it.

AVanMill17 and tvck like this.
  20. ben.

I don’t disagree! However, I didn’t use the word simple.. you did?

21. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Do you not think simplicity and simple are the same?

22. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

You’re arguing with him about saying “beauty in simplicity”, which means that you have to believe that the song is simple to make that statement.

Maybe that’s not what you meant, and in that case maybe try to rephrase it? But this is pretty circular conversation

23. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

Shocked by how much i like this

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  24. ben.

I’m not arguing! I just don’t appreciate the words being put into my mouth.

Calling something simple and admiring somethings simplicity are two very different things.

Let’s use a different analogy. An iPhone. An iPhone is simplicity at its best. But I think we can all agree that an iPhone is anything but simple.

The point I was trying to make was I feel before they had a raw, powerful, ambient sound. Of which they’re still capable. I just liken their new sound to a painter afraid of white space.

25. An iPhone or The 1975 isn’t simple or “simplicity” — which is the state of simple. Simple is the wrong word to use to define The 1975 (or an iPhone).