Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Read ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Director Jon M. Chu’s Letter to Coldplay Asking to Use “Yellow”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rebecca Sun, writing at The Hollywood Reporter:

To director Jon M. Chu, the only tune that could fit the bill was Coldplay’s 2000 breakthrough single “Yellow.” Warner Bros. was concerned that the song’s title was problematic (the word has been used as an ethnic slur against Asians), but that’s exactly why Chu wanted it. “We’re going to own that term,” he told The Hollywood Reporter in an outtake from THR’s cover story. “If we’re going to be called yellow, we’re going to make it beautiful.”

2. Iamhollywood315

Regular

For anyone to even get offended about a song title that has nothing to do with the movie context would be Silly.

3. transrebel59

Regular

Is this not incredibly bizarre to anybody else?

4. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

what is bizarre

5. transrebel59

Regular

The director chose to use this song for this reason. I'm black, I lived in Nigeria and Cote d'Ivoire for most of my life. If the director of Black Panther used Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys because that had been used as a racial slur for us in America and he wanted to reclaim that slur, I would have felt pretty damn uncomfortable.

6. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I guess that is your right to feel uncomfortable and I think tone and culture plays a big part here but also its not even remotely uncommon for people to want to reclaim slurs. People of all cultures do it to an extent, in america anyway.