Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Breaks Twitter for Third-Party Clients

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

John Gruber, writing at Daring Fireball:

My strong preference for Tweetbot, on both iOS and Mac, is simple: I prefer its user interface.

Tweetbot presents tweets and replies/mentions in a way that fits my mental model of what Twitter is. Tweetbot makes sense to me — in large part simply because it presents tweets in chronological order. Twitter’s iOS app does none of these things for me. I truly find it confusing. And Twitter no longer even fucking has a first-party native app for the Mac. I don’t want to use a website for Twitter. I want an app.

I think Twitter should reverse course on this whole thing.

I agree with Gruber on this entire thing. Now that Tweetbot can no longer stream tweets, but instead will show them after a one or two minute delay, the app is almost worthless while watching sports. Beside just getting pissed off at the news each day, that’s one of the main reasons I loved Twitter. I’ve never seen a service constantly shoot itself in the foot and alienate its most loyal users as much as Twitter has in the past year.

2. CMilliken

Trusted

If they comtinue to break Tweetbot and other third party apps I’ll just delete my Twitter account. Not gonna be stuck using their POS app.

josh.hofer and Jason Tate like this.
  3. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

I've never had an issue with using the stock Twitter app but maybe I use Twitter differently than most people haha

Helloelloallo and Raku like this.
  4. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Twitter stock app is absolutely awful. Advertisements everywhere, awful algorithm for "tweets you want to see". It is brutal. I'm not shocked that they are strangling the third party apps though - they are far better than their own app.

5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Been using Echofon for 10 years. I have the twitter app installed because any twitter links on websites won’t open on Echofon (maybe I’m just dumb).

6. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I switched away from Google services when it started doing this kind of stuff. I was on a Windows Phone at the time, and Google decided to lock the Google Voice API so that all third party apps stopped working. Shortly after that, it locked down the mail protocols so only IMAP would work (which was set to a 10-minute delay at minimum). That's when I decided I'd had enough and jumped ship to Outlook.com for email and Telegram for messaging (my friends are cool and didn't mind).