Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything Announce the End; Share New Song

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Say Anything is (sorta) coming to an end. A lengthy message from Max Bemis (over ten pages), can be read here.

Our plans as a collective are to, kind of sort of, end Say Anything. Or “the first era of Say Anything”. Whatever you want to call it, it’s that thing. I don’t buy that shit when other bands do it, but whatever the fuck works as terminology. I need a break. We’ll return one day to play festivals and scoff at our career. But I want to say goodbye.

There will be no full U.S tour to support the record or in the near future. I am done being a touring musician as my main profession. Say Anything is retiring in the sense that Jay-Z did. It’s not an indefinite hiatus or a breakup because that’s impossible. But we’ll get to that.

A message from his wife, Sherri DuPree-Bemis, can be read here

If what Max wrote doesn’t make it clear, he’s recovering from a PTSD “breakdown” and this is not really bipolar-related stuff. It’s a guy who followed his passion to the point of almost breaking who stopped and saved his own life for us and those who care. Which has left him joyful but needing rest and relaxation and positivity.

The band will be releasing their new album, Oliver Appropriate, on October 12th. The first single, “Daze” is up on Spotify and Apple Music.

2. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Am I missing "Daze" on Spotify. I don't see it.

3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I don’t either.

This one is really hard to digest for me but I have nothing but massive respect for them and Max.

solxace and waking season like this.
  5. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

As someone who has absolutely despised their last few albums, this single sounds pretty good.

6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Haven't liked anything this band has put out since In Defense..

This song is good though. Has me intrigued for the album.

7. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

I'm one of the few that actually loves the last few albums. Sad to see it come to an end but fully support his decision.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Had a feeling this was coming for awhile now. He is such a great writer, and the current run of Moon Knight he is writing, might be the best interpretation of the character EVER...

failinginplace likes this.
  9. zachmacD

Trusted

I hated everything after self titled but this good. I guess they aren’t touring with Senses fail like some predicted

SEMUSIC likes this.
  10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

If og SA played, Id go see them.

11. Song is very good. Happy to see people digging this and I really hope he's doing well

Matt504 likes this.
  12. serotonin

who told you this room exists?

Okay, so nobody here read the ten page summation yet?

It's a very interesting read.

As for my take, I am happy that he's making the decisions he wants for himself and being honest for himself. Wish him, Sherri, and his family the best.

Intrigued to hear this new album, though nothing has really stuck with me in any capacity since the self-titled record.

Matt504 likes this.
  13. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Yea I read it, he’s really open and honest in the whole manifest. Wasn’t really surprised about the bisexual or attraction to guys thing. You can tell he’s been battling for a long time with some of this stuff, good to get it off his chest.

14. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

bittersweet. i respect anything max does and how transparent he is.

Matt504 likes this.
  15. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Love the new single. Saw them live for the first time at Slam Dunk this year and they were really good.

Will always check out anything these guys are involved in. Respect for Max for the 10 page statement too.

16. AMC

Regular

17. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I was late for work because I got distracted reading his statement, which I only got halfway through lol

18. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

How many issues has he done so far?

19. Bass0820

Really sad he won’t be touring anymore. But I’ll look back fondly on the fact that I saw them 3 times in the past 4 years, and how amazing they were last year with Bayside

20. like the song, happy he's making himself a priority, found the statement... dense?

21. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

22. BradBradley

Regular

I’m really happy for him. I’m glad that he’s prioritizing his health, his family, and his happiness over Say Anything and touring.

The idea of closing a chapter and making what is possibly the last album from Say Anything into the narrative continuation/conclusion of ...Is A Real Boy is a really interesting idea after all of these years (though maybe not too surprising considering many would consider that album to be his most defining work). I, like many, fell in love with his artistry during that era of his career. Though I haven’t felt that same passion for Say Anything in some time, I think it’s cool that he has chosen a very self-aware way to both find personal closure and provide it to his fans (not that it is owed to any of us).

All of that said:

“He seeks out Karl, who he assumes will just love him back. Karl rejects him and tells him he’s actually sort of into another guy. In a fit of rage, Oliver kills Karl, absconds to San Francisco and drowns himself, tied to his lover’s corpse and a gigantic stone.

The album ends with Oliver’s ascension after death and his acceptance of what he’s done to himself, Karl, and the world. I would like to think he is reborn and goes somewhere better...”

Wat.

23. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Healthy mental hygiene over everything. U the man Max.

FTank likes this.
  24. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

You should drop by the Comic Thread (if you aren't there already).

25. zachmacD

Trusted

I fortunately got to see the guys many times during the first album cycle. Headlining, bamboozle 2006, Opening up for Dashboard Confessional, and acoustic opening for TSL's holiday show in 2006. That was such a special time in my life and this scene. Despite all the great music out then, I think SA really stood out among their peers. I really hope this album is great and pulls me back to being a fan. IDOTG and SA were good but nowhere as good as a real boy.