Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

mewithoutYou – “Julia (Or, ‘Holy to the LORD’ on the Bells of Horses)”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. skullbird

God this is fucking good. How is this band still so good?

3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I hope the vocals aren't subdued like this throughout the whole album... but the song itself is great.

4. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

They likely will be.

5. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

6. Dog Fish

Mutt

Last time I saw them was in 2004. I think I saw them with Owen and Snake the Cross the Crown...

7. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Like the song but not keen on how the vocals are done.

Also will have to look for an explanation about the meaning of the lyrics.

8. LightWithoutHeat

9. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I seriously miss SCC.

MrAirplane likes this.
  10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

he says it was intentional on this track, not necessarily that it would be present throughout.

either way, I enjoy the production, and trust Aaron, Yip, and company to make the record the way they want to make it. mwY’s lyrics almost always require reading along to fully understand all the nuances and references, anyways, and it seems like Aaron wants people to have to really dig to figure out what he’s saying.

11. LightWithoutHeat

Its 100% conscious. Aaron likes his vocals to not be on top.

That read to me as an overall approach to the band's sound, but it's very possible that's not the case.

12. thesaltedsea

Modest Drinker

I was a bit thrown at the first half of the song, it seemed almost "lyricless" in comparison to Aaron's normal delivery. maybe that's just me though. I remember Kevin Devine once joking that every mwY song was like reading a book. That being said, I love the sound and the direction, and though Aaron isn't spitting out words 80mph I love the lyrics on this one.

"Safely on the shore, we sank like stones." Is one of the more haunting lines in recent memory.

coleslawed and BEsterley like this.
  13. myermyer

Loving this sound.

Looks like Michael Parks Randa is directing the video for this.

14. Bass0820

Judging by what’s been said and things I’ve heard months ago I’m 95% sure they’re dropping the whole album on Friday.

15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

oh?

16. Bass0820

Just using context clues. Originally I thought it was just a countdown to the preorder; no big deal. But then they said something is coming on Friday, which from the way it sounds it means it’s a bigger deal.

Another clue is someone from either here or their subreddit had talked to Rickie about when to expect the new album and he had said they were shooting for August, if not close to this exact day of August 17th. This was also a few months ago FYI.

So with these context clues I’m theorizing that either the new album or a new EP is coming Friday.

17. Press release says, specifically, preorder :shrug:

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Always love seeing a The Snake The Cross The Crown mention. What a band. I wish they had made more music.

thedrudo likes this.
  19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It's all very intriguing. This Tweet suggests that there might be more than meets the eye:

20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Different vocals, which is definitely interesting, great tune!

21. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

Read rumours there's an EP AND an album. Like the new song but wish these epic screams weren't so buried in the mix.

Loving A>B Life Live too. Great album I thought I'd never hear.

22. Bass0820

They’re putting out an EP tomorrow; my favorite leak site has already leaked it. Makes sense though about an EP and and LP this year since the past couple albums they’ve had they’ve paired it with an acccompaniment EP

Bartek T. likes this.
  23. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

What happened to those guys? They involved in anything new?

24. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

I'm really bummed for them it's leaked. Will definitely buy it when I can to support them.

25. thesaltedsea

Modest Drinker

I googled the EP info, and it appears it leaked as mentioned, will be buying it for sure though. What I thought was interesting is that it had a track listing for the EP and this new single isn't on it, so I know we know the album is going up for pre-order on Friday as well, containing this single, so I like the idea of the EP coming out first.

Still to this day I love The GetUp Kids "Redletter Day" EP that they put out before Something to Write Home About, the lost art of the indie EP that isn't just a cash grab of b-sides the band didn't like.

Spencer Rhoton likes this.