Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dave Grohl – Play

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Does Dave Grohl ever sleep? The near 23-minute instrumental song, “Play,” features Dave Grohl playing all of the instruments and is chaotic enough just in its concept alone. The “album” itself was recorded at East/West Studios in LA with the audio recorded by Darrell Thorp. The project came together to help promote music education in schools (so hell yeah to Grohl for doing this).

I highly recommend using a nice set of stereo headphones to fully absorb this entire work of art, rather than streaming it through a crappy pair of standard earbuds. This massive prog-rock odyssey is tailor-made for Dave Grohl, and has all of his many influences rubber-stamped over this opus. That being said, Grohl is precise in mastering the art of changing tempos, styles, and genres and knows exactly when to crank it up, or turn it down. The composure he plays with on “Play” is nothing short of a masterpiece.

[​IMG]

The “map” for lack of a better word, above, shows a hand-drawn sketch from Dave Grohl that carefully shows the progression of playing each set of instruments in a live setting. Now for the track itself, it opens with the loud buzzing of a distant siren, and then some faint electric guitar blends into the dramatic drum intro, and the combination shows that Grohl is out to make a statement. The starts and stops of the drums, guitars, and bass, are worthy enough of being showcased on their own, and honestly, I’m not sure if adding vocals (at any point in the song) would have even enhanced this already epic song.

Grohl clearly did not “just jam” this song out. He carefully mapped out exactly what, when, and where to showcase the many emotions that go into a space-y, prog-rock song such as this. The unique and math rock elements of different time signatures are never too big for Grohl, as this song demands to be blared over the speakers in a live concert setting. He even recently attempted to play the song live during an appearance on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

The video below imagines Grohl being able to clone himself and play everything simultaneously, and is definitely worth watching. At this point in his career, Grohl has nothing left to prove, yet he continues to raise the bar and expectations with project-after-project and album-after-album of solid material. Words can barely describe just how awesome this track is, and if you’re able to snag a vinyl copy of this, do it.

Thank you, Mr. Grohl for continuing to wow us with your amazing creativity and dedication to keeping rock music alive and well.

2. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

"Play" is one of the best things Dave has ever done. It reminds me of the music he wrote for the Sound City soundtrack a few years ago. The specific part I timestamped below is one of the greatest pieces of music he's ever written.

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Long live Gave Drohl.

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This is one man I want to grab some beers with and just shoot the shit, especially bc we share the same birthday. Tom Petty was another man I wanted to grab a drink with. RIP TP.

elphshelf and paythetab like this.
  5. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Dude I’m gonna be pissed if you just jinxed Dave.

Essie, AlwaysEvolving21 and paythetab like this.
  6. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I swear this isn’t a dig, but that section reminds me so much of the intro to Brand New Day by Sting. Like, a proggier version of it.

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

what the fuck

incredible! dude is an inspiration

paythetab likes this.
  8. gbuffers

England.

(Very) Lucky enough to have shared a few Jagerbombs with the man - at a place called Crobar, here in London, and I can safely assure you he is as cool as you'd hope. Excited to take a listen to this.

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Jealous.

10. Ska Senanake

Trusted

This entire song is amazing

paythetab likes this.
  11. prattsy

Regular

I adore the drum section starting at 12:10.
    Crazy how talented this dude is combined with an out-of-this-world ear for melody

paythetab likes this.
  12. J.Dick

Regular

Grohl is without a doubt a crazy talented guy and from all accounts a great dude as well.
    That being said I wish I liked Foo Fighters more. Aside from the singles nothing on the albums ever really grabs me.

13. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I find them all very hit or miss. ...Left to Lose is my favorite by far, there’s only one or two tracks on the A-side I don’t love and it has an amazing run of slower gems (Aurora, Generator, Next Year, MIA...)

14. gbuffers

England.

Definitely hearing the Refused influence at the start of this.

paythetab likes this.