Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rules Won’t Save Twitter. Values Will.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Kara Swisher, writing for The New York Times:

But by that measure, the rest of us plebes, including Mr. Jones, should probably get no protection if we err, no matter how much we rant that tweeting is a right under the First Amendment. It’s not, because Twitter is not the government and it can decide what and what not to host on its service. In any case, if you get kicked off Twitter, you can always unload your twisted mind on your very own website. And it cannot be said too many times that freedom of speech does not guarantee freedom from consequence.

All this is not to say that fixing Twitter will be easy; in fact, I think at this point it is nearly impossible. Add to that the fact that this is a global issue, making it hard to have any consistent rules that address the complexity of the world and, really, its deep and abiding ugliness.

It’s time for Jack to leave as CEO. He failed at the most important test for his company.

Christian Romero likes this.
  2. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Or if Jack doesn’t leave does everyone else voluntarily leave? I’ve definitely contemplated it multiple times...

3. RickSmithSWAT

lol this is a pretty rich take coming from the NYT after last weeks debacle.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  4. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Burn it down.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Yeah, I don't miss this garbage at all. I get so much more done and spend much less time angry at my phone ever since giving it up a year and a half ago. I don't even understand the appeal of it anymore; there are plenty of ways to get breaking news, keep up on your favorite artists/film directors/comedians without having to feel vitriol after reading stupid replies.

Furman and AllenRicketts like this.
  6. Kara Swisher isn’t the NYT.

7. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

What methods do you use? My hesitation for leaving is losing that feeling of getting news when it breaks.

8. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I downloaded a couple of news apps for outlets I followed, and even the native news App on iPhone allows you to customize your news feed so that you get alerts from news sources you like. I used to be extremely hesitant to let go of Twitter for fear of feeling out of the loop, but it's worked out fine. I would find myself replying to news tweets about awful things going on in the Trump administration or even the rest of the world, and the fights I would let myself get pulled into were just outlandish and a giant waste of time.

AllenRicketts and Kyle Max like this.
  9. RickSmithSWAT

You'd make for an excellent lawyer.

10. I’m assuming you don’t know who Kara Swisher is?

11. RickSmithSWAT

No, did a quick Google search and it seems she's a techie. My mistake - I'm not very well versed with the tech community.

I still find it funny to see this opinion on the New York Times, however.

12. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

I don't know, I'm fine with bigotry being allowed on Twitter just because it allows more idiots to expose themselves as being the dirtbags they are rather than keeping it a secret.

13. AllenRicketts

Regular

Yes but that requires faith in the general populace's ability to make decisions for themselves. We need to ban anything the simpletons might be persuaded by. We must use our superior intellect for the good of all. Because that definitely isn't condescending as fuck.

RickSmithSWAT likes this.
  14. Pooch

Regular

i was getting really triggered until your last sentence haha. well done

AllenRicketts and RickSmithSWAT like this.