Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Changes Coming to The Oscars

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hollywood Reporter:

To address the concerns of those who find the show to be too long and boring (thanks largely to the current existence of 24 competitive awards, of which the general public only cares about a few), Bailey and Academy CEO Dawn Hudson said in a letter to members that the board has “committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours.” They explain that this will be achieved partly by “present[ing] select categories live, in the Dolby Theatre, during commercial breaks (categories to be determined).” Those categories will not be removed from the telecast; instead, “the winning moments will then be edited and aired later in the broadcast.”

And:

At least as important, in terms of improving the ratings of the Oscars telecast for ABC, the Academy also said in its letter that it “will create a new category for outstanding achievement in popular film,” adding that “[e]ligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming.”

So, is this just “the Marvel movie” category?

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Basically the academy knows they’ve shafted superhero films and instead of allowing them to be nominated with other films they are making a separate category for them. Whatever, at least films like Infinity War and Black Panther will be recoginized now.

Kingjohn_654 and Raku like this.
  3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This fucking blows. Simeltaneously insulting to both big blockbusters and small independent movies.

5. dlemert

Trusted

This is dumb. I feel like when your movie makes $1 billion+ at the box office you don't really need any extra recognition.

Connor, domotime2 and Analog Drummer like this.
  6. somethingwitty

Trusted

This is dumb...I'm sorry but if Marvel films start getting Best Picture nods then I'm out. Black Panther was a good movie, not an Oscar worthy film tho, same with about every superhero movie.

This is insulting to the film industry. If the Oscars don't watch out they'll just become the Billboard Music Awards, or worse the Blockbuster Movie Awards.

8. More Oscar worthy than the shit that has been nominated for decades.

9. fuck yeah - a lot of the stuff that gets nominated for best picture seem to just focus on prestige casting and director without much focus on the actual movie being watchable

10. Fucking Babel got nominated. Crash won! Let’s not pretend this is some category that must be protected from Batman and Black Panther.

11. let's not forget that a movie where a woman fell in love with a fish man won last year (I know that's a real simplistic synopsis for the film which I really liked haha)

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Lol, so many bad choices.

How many Best Picture nominees from the past 20 or 30 years are at all rewatchable? I've seen so many of them and have no interest in seeing most of those ever again.

13. the LOTR movies really

Connor, coleslawed and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  14. Seriously. The history of the academy getting these things "right" ... is super seldom. But I'm the guy that thinks having a separate animated category is weird too. Multiple animated movies should have won Best Picture over some of this stuff. However, the idea that Black Panther isn't an "Oscar worthy" film is ludicrous given what has been deemed as such for 50+ years.

15. the pretentiousness of the academy and a lot of movie critics just turn me away from a lot of that stuff - I just don't give a fuck. Fuck yeah I'd rather give 15 bucks to watch Venom eat dude's head clean off over whatever bumble fuck film about three billboards

SuNDaYSTaR, Connor and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  16. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I'd say on average 1-2 slip in ever year that are quite rewatchable, but for the most part the selection isn't great.

17. ZeoVGM

Regular

It is so frustrating how much they completely missed the point with this. Audiences are losing interest because they want to see movies they like be nominated for Best Picture. Creating a new category because voters are too snobbish to nominate "blockbuster" films is insulting and tone deaf.

This isn't like 15 years ago. The "superhero genre" isn't the fad people in the industry thought it was and we're at the point where we have 2-3 blockbuster/superhero films per year that end up being some of the best reviewed films of that year. Black Panther has a higher average review score than last year's Best Picture-nominated The Post.

They increased the possible nominees from 5 to 10 back in 2010 or so. Use them. Instead of creating a new category, films like Black Panther and Mission: Impossible -- Fallout should get two of the 10 nominations because they are two of the most acclaimed films of the year. You could easily argue that a movie like Paddington 2 could be nominated as well.

The other 7 or 8 films can be the usual dramas or Oscar bait. This isn't difficult. Make sure two or three spots go to "blockbusters" and more people will tune in to see if they win.

(They won't. They'll lose. But still.)

18. Paddington 2 was better than Three Billboards and I'll die on that hill.

19. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

no problem with having the discussion that blockbusters should be considered for nominations.... animated movies same thing... but this is stupid. These movies dont need or require more recognition. Who feels bad for Black Panther or Dark Knight?

20. I'll die with you

Kingjohn_654 and Jason Tate like this.
  21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Meanwhile, when was the last time anyone rewatched A Beautiful Mind? Ooof.

I firmly believe that both Toy Story and Coco, at very least, should have won Best Picture.

Yeah, there are always a couple, but it isn't more than it was when the field was five, honestly. The extra nominees are mostly just more of the same Oscar bait stuff. Which is usually passable, just not anything I want to revisit.

22. Also best popular film is just asking for more head aches - last years BP made over $200M worldwide - how is that not “popular”

23. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

I'm all for this if it means that Avatar 2 through 5 don't get nominated for Best Picture.

Kidding. This is stupid.

24. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Remember when they gave Ordinary People Best Picture over Raging Bull ? Or Shakespear In Love over Saving Private Ryan? I mean i enjoy watching them but the Oscars have always messed up. Not to mention Crash winning. What a terrible movie. Also they gave Scorsese an Oscar for one of his most whatever movies instead of ones he actually deserved it for. Oscars are dumb and have no bearing on what is the best movie of the year.

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I feel like this could potentially make winning an Oscar seem like less of an achievement for actors/directors in the future

Connor likes this.