Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Warped Tour is over. Will the culture it created reckon with its demons?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Taylor Telford, writing at The Washington Post:

Overlooking the sins of powerful artists has felt intolerable in the era of #MeToo, but at Warped, taste is tethered to identity, and what comes next for its audience is complicated. The tour has flourished because much of its music is confessional and intimate. It fosters a devotion in the young, marginalized and vulnerable that rarely fades with age. Now fans are wrestling with whether the culture can adapt and evolve, or whether its worst roots run too deep. […]

Until I got to college, I actively disliked female musicians. I was enamored with the myth of the tortured artist; I chased it not only in my taste but also in my personal relationships. Now I wonder if some of these failures can be traced back to the music that shaped me. In part, I want to scrub myself of its influence. The problem is that I wouldn’t know myself without it.

This entire piece is really good. I hope this music scene can learn from the mistakes of the past. Sometimes I see signs of progress, and sometimes I am at a loss for words.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Short answer: most likely not!

Hopeful answer: maybe!

This is a great read, though.

3. Saephon

Regular

Well fuck, if that isn't the struggle I'm now dealing with every day.

Amber and BigMouth like this.
  4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Pretty shitty that Makeout decided to play that song after agreeing not to. Shows they clearly don't know or don't care about their impact.

I went to Warped Tour about half the years between 2003 and 2018 with my best friend, and we definitely struggled with supporting a tour that had such a conflicted past. I really wish someone other than Lyman would take over with a fresh take on it.

They did the Warped At Sea cruise this year, and they've said they'll do something next year for the 25th anniversary, but we'll see if anything persists after that.

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Makeout just continue to prove they suck and they really don’t give a shit about anybody but themselves. Using “the fans asked for it” is the biggest copout and I hope they fade away.

Arry likes this.
  6. Pooch

Regular

Whats this story? I havent heard of Makeout

7. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Their song “Secrets” has incredibly cringey and problematic lyrics and they refrained from playing it for all of Warped Tour because of that, except they ended up playing it the last day of the tour because “the fans wanted it”. Then they got defensive and gross when called out for it, by that’s not shocking considering they acted like that when the song first came out and received backlash.

Pooch likes this.
  8. Pooch

Regular

thanks for explaining!

9. somethingwitty

Trusted

I just listened to that Makeout song for the first time...that is complete trash. Did I miss the problematic lyrics though? I heard them use bitch and whore in the lyrics, which I assume are about an ex that scorned someone.

This band sucks but I've heard MUCH worse from lyrics regarding ex's/relationships gone sour.

10. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I mean, those are incredibly deragory names that are more often than not directed toward females. How is that not problematic? Just because you’ve heard worse doesn’t make this not problematic.

11. You can write a scathing song about an ex without being a misogynist. I've done it. Plenty of people have done it.

And yeah, plenty of people have done worse. But it's 2018 and we can do better. We HAVE to do better.

And I said this on Twitter but I'll say it here too: if you can't find a way to drag your female ex without being a sexist, slut-shaming pig - yes, even one who allegedly cheated on you - then you're just a bad writer (and probably just letting us know how you feel about women in general).

12. chelsealouanne

Regular

Great read - thanks for sharing! Even got a laugh out of the opening paragraph.