Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alkaline Trio – “Is This Thing Cursed?”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Zachary Dresch and AshlandATeam like this.
  2. The Format

Regular

Woah. This is different for Alkaline Trio. The vocal melodies remind me of something Smoking Popes would do. I like!

xburningcoffin likes this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

This is easily the most excited I've been about an Alkaline Trio song since Good Mourning.

4. moura

Regular

The trading-off vocals definitely feels different for Trio... Can't think of a song where both Matt and Dan have held lead vocal duties fairly equally in a given song. Not going to lie, I couldn't help but smirk at the "tits up" part... never heard that expression before. :crylaugh:

Amber likes this.
  5. oneeightytwo

Regular

I guess it’s probably a common-ish expression over here in the UK.

moura likes this.
  6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

It's not too common, but it's happened before. I think the first time that went down was on "Old School Reasons" back in 2003, maybe?

7. moura

Regular

Yeah... that's definitely got a trade-off to it. Typically the Trio MO is one person dominates the singing duties and the other provides back-ups. I was also stoked that Dan kicked off the album.

8. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Only one I can really think of from an album proper is “Mercy Me.”

9. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Skiba's been doing vocal trade offs on every song with Blink for the last 2 years. Looks like it rubbed off on Alk3.

Bad Frequencies and moura like this.
  10. J.Dick

Regular

This is sounding good. I haven't loved a full ALK3 record since Crimson (Remains doesn't count). 2 for 2 with the singles so far.

LCT Music and Former Planets like this.
  11. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

My wife really got into “This Addiction” recently and it’s grown on me a lot. I was ambivalent when it first came out out.

12. J.Dick

Regular

Draculina, Dine Dine my Darling, Eating Me Alive...the trumpet...

There are some OK songs but not a great full album.

13. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Wow, I really can't tell how much I'm loving this new track, I've already listened to it three times in a row.

14. Eml182

Regular

When Skiba backs Dan in the chorus, echoes of Emma. While not the case here, Emma is a Skiba song sung by Dan

15. DannyZach

Trusted

it's very often used in Czech language too

16. xburningcoffin

KC

This one edges out Blackbird as a better track, but they both exceeded my expectations!!

17. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Great tune. Can’t wait for the full album.

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Both tracks are just "fine" for me. I hope I love the record since I pre-ordered the vinyl before even listening to Blackbird lol.

19. dzyjay Aug 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 7, 2018)
    dzyjay

Regular

Does this “kinda” remind anyone of cynical? Just the way it starts and skiba comes in. Very rad regardless. Love it!

20. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Really into this song after one listen. This is shaping up to be a solid album. Alkaline Trio are masters of making such catchy melodies that get stuck in your head after one listen.

Amber likes this.
  21. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

2/2 so far, but I feel like Blackbird was better than this.

22. Zachary Dresch

Trusted Supporter

I adore this song. The build up with piano and Dan's vocals...ugh, so good. I saw them live last night in St. Louis and they were great, but I seriously miss Derek behind the kit right now. Not to discredit Jarrod Alexander's talent, but they're just different drummers. Derek is a HUGE influence on me as a drummer, and I prefer Derek's machine-like yet fluid drumming style. That being said, the band did sound great last night. Can't wait for the new album!!

moura and AshlandATeam like this.
  23. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Really cool song.

24. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Is it Derek on the new album even though he's not touring?

25. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Yes, the band confirmed that in their post about Derek being absent this tour.

BackyardHero11 likes this.