Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How The 1975’s Matty Healy Kicked Heroin and Took the Band to New Heights

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dorian Lynskey, writing at Billboard:

Really, The 1975 only qualifies as a rock band in the sense that it is a commercially successful group of four men who play instruments, which makes them an endangered species in 2018. Their albums include almost everything but straight rock. The self-produced A Brief Inquiry, out in November, ranges from Auto-Tuned house to blue-eyed soul, art-rock to the Great American Songbook. Their fourth album, Notes on a Conditional Form, will be more intimate, nocturnal and cinematic. Healy doesn’t think there’s anyone else in The 1975’s lane.

2. drewinseries

Drew

That's a great read.

“That’s why I was a good drug addict, because it used to stop me being like that" is a really interesting line.

3. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I thought the narrative around the last album was that he had almost fully succumbed to drugs but was able to get clean. Didn't realize the heroin smoking lasted through the last tour cycle.

4. The whole anxious/manic/depressive thing (that Matty specifically deals with) gets shut down by some drugs and amplified by others. No wonder he wanted to get clean after how fractious things were getting.

drewinseries likes this.
  5. somethingwitty

Trusted

Not a huge fan of the band but love that they're progressively getting weirder and more abstract. It's refreshing to see his level of confidence regarding their position in the alt world.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  6. chilllll

Regular

i love this band. love everything they do. super dope.

7. chilllll

Regular

dont love heroin use tho

8. russvanderhoof

pizza.~

Very well written article, great imagery.~

9. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This isn’t even witty. It’s a perfect encapsulation of why people have loved the band forever