Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab for Cutie – “Autumn Love”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Dog Fish

Mutt

The verse is pretty damn cool. However, I think the reason I liked Plans so much, is that some of the tracks avoided the typical song structure - verse/chorus/verse etc. Ben was realllly good at making songs unpredictable and interesting. Once the chorus of Autumn Love started, I let out an audible 'noooooooooo.'

raaaaaaaady likes this.
  3. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

Yeah, sadly, this new material isn't doing much for me. It feels cookie cutter. I mean, it's not terrible, but it feels like pleasant background noise.

Plans is one of my all time favorites. It was simply arresting. For me, it's easily their high water mark in every way - lyrically, melodically, and musically. Songs like Brothers on a Hotel Bed, Your Heart is an Empty Room, and Summer Skin just strike such a perfect, melancholy note. Even the b-sides from that era - Talking Like Turnstiles and Jealousy Rides With Me - are wonderful. They were really tapping into something special at that time.

Night_Sky and serotonin like this.
  4. moosic

Hear hear!

To each their own, I suppose, because I didn’t feel this song until the chorus began. :)

5. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

Didn't like it all that much on first listen, but after a few spins I'm enjoying it as much as the stronger tracks on Kintsugi.

"Gold Rush" was the only that didn't click yet. Maybe it'll work better in the context of the album.

6. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Thanks, I've just listened to these b-sides for the first time because of your post, they're awesome, especially Jealousy Rides With Me! ...this album's going to be difficult, but I'm sure I'll find it enjoyable after a few listens.