Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

No Guilt, Just Pleasure (Encore Episode 120) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week’s episode of Encore looks at the first week of the website and how things are going so far, then we tackle a bunch of upcoming movies (Star Wars, Fantastic Beasts, Civil War) and give some thoughts on Batman v Superman. This leads to a little talk about comic books. Then we dive into this week’s main topics: Record Store Day, do we believe in “guilty pleasures” for art, our thoughts on buying albums when they’re on sale from a label, and if a bad album from a band can ruin future albums for us. We end by talking about if we’d leave our jobs for “The Ringer” and, of course, talk about Blink-182 finishing their new album.

Sponsors

• Goodbye Tiger: Check out the band’s brand new single “Santayana.”
    • AP.net Pins: Get a commemorative AP.net logo pin at Hard Rock’s Online Rock Shop.
    Hosts + More

Show Notes

• Recap of Chorus.fm’s first week, what Jason is liking so far about
    • It is time to talk about movies: New teaser trailers from Rogue One and Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them; our thoughts on Batman vs Superman; early reviews for Captain America: Civil War; and some overarching thoughts on comic books.
    • @benj182: Do you think Record Store Day has gone well past a celebration of indie stores and now exploits fans with overpriced releases that quite often aren’t that great and then later released at a more reasonable price.
    • @MattW182: do you believe in having “guilty pleasure’s” when it comes to music? What makes something fit that category?
    • @contiinstereo: when labels have sales on recent releases are they taking huge profit hits? Is the band? Sometimes feel “guilty” buying on sale.
    • Pokemon: When a band releases an album you dislike, do you tend to gravitate exclusively toward their earlier work, or will you still occasionally really enjoy an album that comes after the one you didn’t like?
    • Today: Yellowcard is spelled r.e.d.e.m.p.t.i.o.n.
    • Bobby_runs: #askencore Would you leave your current job(s) for The Ringer? What would you bring to the table?
    • Generic blink-182 discussion.
    • JT Recommends: Becoming a supporter on Chorus.fm.
    • TN Recommends: I recently read Kurt Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five, and enjoyed both; also, Batman: Year One.
    Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. J.Dick Apr 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 15, 2016)
    J.Dick

Regular

Sorry for the long reply but super interesting podcast:
    There has only been 1 time when a bad record kind of ruined a band for me. I was just super disappointed with the band's third (and final) record but I think the bigger problem is that I met them at a show and thought the main dude in the band was kind of an asshole.

I feel no guilt buying records on sale. There is a reason why the label is offering the sale.

Jason T knows his Batman pretty well. I love Long Halloween and I loved the original Hush story. Y The Last man is great but everything (non superhero) that Vaughn does is great.

Question: am I the only one kind of over the Dark Knight Frank Miller version of Batman. I much prefer the way Grant Morrison, Denny O'neil, Loeb, and Scott Snyder write Batman. I'm over the fascist Batman of Miller. I appreciate the historic importance of Batman Year One and Dark Knight Returns as being great Batman stories (but really out of continuity). Plus Dark Knight strikes again and All Star Batman and Robin is just terrible. The dude is obsessed with making the relationship between Bruce and Dick Grayson toxic. I haven't read any of DK 3 but my understanding is that Azzarello wrote most of it.

Matt Fraction not Faction.

Record Store day sucks now.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  3. trevorshmevor Apr 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2016)
    Neat that these coming out on Friday mornings now, rather than a random time on Thursday afternoon. Excited to listen today!

Can't really comment on most this without hearing it, but as far as albums ruining bands, the very first thing to come to my mind is Letlive. I adored their first record, then that second one came out and wasn't even listenable. I was hoping by the third album, I'd be over it and enjoy whatever else they did, but at this point it's three years later and I simply just don't care about them at all anymore.

Anyway, maybe actually listening to the episode will get me to think of a more prolific band haha. Conversely, I've never really liked Panic or Secret Weapon by MxPx, but I really loved Plans Within Plans.

4. Connor Apr 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 15, 2016)
    Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I'm with you, I prefer Grant Morrison or Jeph Loeb's Batman any day. Loeb is my favorite

5. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Agree with you guys, I think the "guilty pleasure" idea has really shifted as I have gotten older. Now it's more about listening to what I like when I want to.

ESPN's website redesign a while back absolutely drove me away from it. I can't stand visiting that site at all and actively search for another way to get the information I want, same with Sports Illustrated's website. There's a few writers I like on both, but they're barely enough to keep me visiting on a regular basis.

Excited for Blink. Really hope their sound is still trending in a "mature" way. Last thing I want is Blink to go back to a pre-Untitled maturity level, but honestly I'm not too worried about it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Jason Tate @Thomas Nassiff I had actually applied to work at The Ringer. Very bummed I never heard back haha. Would definitely be a super cool place to work.

But as usual, enjoyed the podcast. Will have to have you guys on Missaligned at some point!

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I feel like there are a lot of artists I love where I don't dig their first records that much. Usually when a band started out rawer and then got more polished, I tend not to go back to the early stuff as much. The obvious one is Jimmy Eat World, with that self-titled debut that pretty much no on likes and then Static Prevails, which I also never listen to. But I also don't really care for Motion City or Gaslight's debuts and love the rest of their catalogs.

8. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Nailed it on the Zack Snyder discussion. I still remember the outright bewilderment I felt when he was handed the keys to Superman and the DC Kingdom shortly after Sucker Punch had bombed with critics, fans and at the box office. The same guy who, in my opinion, fundamentally misunderstood the message of Watchmen and who has a great eye for visuals but can't direct a convincing narrative for shit. Half a decade later, I still wonder if Chris Nolan was just playing an elaborate prank on Warner Brothers by recommending him.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  9. I have always wondered that. I feel like he was just like "I want out of this" and didn't want to be in charge or overseeing any of the comic stuff anymore.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  10. Would be a lot of fun!

11. Yeah, that's definitely going to be my plan from here on out — Friday morning around 10am (PST) for the post on the site and pushed to RSS. And then an early release in the supporter forum when I get it finished on Thursday. This really helps me plan my days better because I'm not stressed about trying to get it out by a certain time on Thursday or anything like that, so far it seems to be working!

Thanks for listening!

12. Dammit.

Can't believe I did that.

I've been saying this for a while now. I understand and respect his importance to the character, but I don't like the stories as much as I like so, so many others.

13. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Prestigious

Literally had just listened to that sophomore Hellogoodbye album yesterday, then went back to their first EP and had a "is this even the same band?" moment.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'll shoot you an email within the next week and we can figure out when would be best to set it up. I think I have up through May scheduled, but I'll have to check on that.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. It's pretty incredible.

16. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Hahaha that seems so uncharacteristic of him though. The man drinks tea from a Thermos on set.

17. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Sneakers is an awesome, awesome movie. Highly recommended to anyone who likes heist flicks.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Yes! I knew there had to be one other person that had seen that movie.

19. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Half of my posts on Chorus have been about the White Album by Weezer but fuck it, here goes another one. For me, it's a great example of a great new album released by a band which, let's be honest, had a little bit of a dark age in the middle of their discography.

20. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

"No Guilt, Just Pleasure" sounds like a new tagline for Ashley Madison.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  21. Pokemon

I just listened to this podcast and I want to thank you for answering my question from ap. (I registered to get the same username as before).

It's funny that almost all the bands you mentioned when answering my question were ones that I have given up on and we seem to have the opposite opinion a lot. So even though I find myself disagreeing with your opinions a lot, I still enjoy hearing them.

For Yellowcard, I stopped caring at Lights and Sounds, and having tried anything since.
    For Taking Back Sunday I didn't like New Again but I gave self-titled a shot since the original members returned but I didn't like it either.
    For Paramore, I liked Riot, but I have no desire to listen to any of their newer material.
    For Relient K, I like mmhmm a lot, but haven't listened to anything since.
    For blink 182, despite being one of my favorite bands in high school I didn't like self-titled and I think .

I thought Saves the Day was going to be the case since I didn't like In Reverie or the later albums, but I did end up liking Daybreak.

However, for Brand New, I don't really like The Devil and God that much, and Daisy classified as unlistenable to me, but I m willing to give their new album a shot because I liked to one new song.

Conversely, I really like the Hello Goodbye EP, but I thought Would it Kill You was okay so stopped caring after that.
    I also really like almost everything by The World is a Beautiful place, so there's that.

My favorite band is still Less Than Jake and although I didn't really like In With the Out Crowd that much I still like GNV FLA and See the Light so that's one band that I will never give up on.

I want to give some examples to the converse question.
    The World/Inferno Friendship society, I don't like their first two albums but I really love the third and fourth and still like the newest albums.
    Braid is a band that I only got into with No Coast, but haven't liked any of their earlier stuff, not even Frame and Canvas. I also vastly prefer later Bomb the Music Industry albums to their earlier material.