Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Won’t Let Users Block Harassers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Davey Alba, writing at BuzzFeed:

Since at least 2012, Spotify users like Meghan have been asking the music streaming giant for a block feature for a simple reason: Over the years, harassers and abusers have used the service to stalk and intimidate victims. […] A company representative told BuzzFeed News that Spotify “does not have any timeline on plans for a block feature.”

2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

How do you harass people on Spotify? Does it have a message feature? I didn't even realize that.

Raku and josh.hofer like this.
  3. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

There's no messaging feature. The article says the victim's ex was viewing their listening history and sending them emails about it, harassing them. Seems like a weird thing to harass someone over.

Raku, josh.hofer and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Jesus christ. Raise your fucking kids better.

Raku likes this.
  5. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Huh. Gross. I've never had my account public, so I don't think I'm very aware of its social functionality and features.

Raku likes this.
  6. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Do other music services have this kind of an option? Is this like blocking someone on Twitter where the person can't see your tweets if they're logged in, but all they have to do is sign out and they can see them?

Raku likes this.