Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter To Delete Fake Accounts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

Twitter will begin removing tens of millions of suspicious accounts from users’ followers on Thursday, signaling a major new effort to restore trust on the popular but embattled platform.

The reform takes aim at a pervasive form of social media fraud. Many users have inflated their followers on Twitter or other services with automated or fake accounts, buying the appearance of social influence to bolster their political activism, business endeavors or entertainment careers.

I wrote about this five months back and all I can say is: finally.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  2. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Super pumped for all the "TWITTER IS CENSORING ME AND MY FOLLOWERS" posts from the maga chuds who don't realize they've been interacting with bots for the last 2 years

3. bransco2010

even if you informed them that their followers were bots (which i've no doubt Twitter will), they'd call it a lie and claim censorship.

4. Jared Luttrell

Regular

It's astounding to see how many blatant bots there are on twitter. Really makes the platform a shithole for any meaningful political discussion or opinions. Any political tweet gets hounded by them and if you go to their twitter profile it's like a hilariously poorly done job. Everything is hardcore right wing politics only and their user name is always some generic username like "blackguyforTrump!" or "MAGAgirl123". The bio on the profile is also ways remarkably similar, just a generic maga statement. All they do is follow other bots and retweet one another. I'm certainly not saying anyone who's a republican or right leaning on twitter is a bot obviously but it's insane just how many there are and how obviously not real people they are. It's like a collection of generic cliches of what I imagine someone from a foreign country unfamiliar with the US would come up with.