Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twenty One Pilots – Jumpsuit/Nico and the Niners

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

After months and months of teasing brief, unexplainable, clues about when new music would be coming from the ultra-popular group, Twenty One Pilots casually just dropped two great songs in “Jumpsuit” and “Nico and the Niners.” These two blazing tracks come from the upcoming album, entitled Trench, due out on October 5th.

Starting with the lead single, “Jumpsuit,” this dynamic duo have evolved their sound a bit from the multi-platinum certified Blurryface LP, while still keeping the core elements of what makes them who they are on this song. The song starts off with a faint alarm sound, and the trademark drumming of Josh Dun, signaling a call to arms as Tyler Joseph sings, “I can’t believe how much I hate/Pressures of a new place for my weight/Jumpsuit, jumpsuit cover me.” It’s almost as if the two artists know just how much pressure is on them to produce a significant work of art for the rabid fan-base that has been clamoring for a taste of what they had cooked up in the studio.

Rewind about a year ago, when the Suicide Squad soundtrack was released and headlined in part with the incredibly dark tones of the Pilots’ song, “Heathens.” Now hearing what direction they have gone on “Jumpsuit,” it’s almost as if they were vindicated by the success of the darker single released last summer and plan to continue these vibes on their lead single for their all-too-important third record which should further solidify their A-lister status.

On the B-side (of a digital-only single, at the moment), we get “Nico and the Niners.” Tyler Joseph continues to paint with darker brushes while the atmosphere created around the beats, guitars, and sounds fill in the space surrounding this darkness with a brooding confidence. Joseph continues to chant about “aces up,” and if Joseph and Dun feel immense pressure on this upcoming album, they can breathe a short sigh of relief knowing that their fans will quickly consume these two tracks over and over again until the next teaser drops on social media.

Welcome back, Twenty One Pilots, we’re all glad you’re here.

Bonesaw likes this.
  2. Bonesaw

Collide

Is it "aces up" or "east is up" on Nico? I swear it sounds like "east is up"

jasonmerch, DearCory and paythetab like this.
  3. DearCory

Regular

Yeah, it's definitely "East Is Up"

The stuff they were releasing on their dmaorg.info site references "East Is Up" (look at the capitalized letters) and if you dig into the site more, you'll see references to other lyrics

paythetab and heymattrick like this.
  4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Enjoy these. Two different aspects of their sound. Like the darker sound. Nico reminds me of Ride.

5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Were people really divided on Heathens ? I loved that song

Matt504 likes this.
  6. somethingwitty

Trusted

Nico sounds redundant but Jumpsuit is a decent song. We need more young alt bands that can break through to the mainstream, keep it up boys!

Brent likes this.
  7. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

29 and 30 aren’t really young ages.

8. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I think the statement should be edited to "we need more alt bands that can break through to the mainstream".

9. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Thanks, I'll make the edits.

DearCory likes this.
  10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I honestly can't believe FBR is doing the same roll out structure for this band- 3 months seems like suuuuuch a long time to wait for the full album with a fanbase as passionate as TOP's.

DearCory likes this.
  11. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I thought the same thing. Looks like the release coincides with the tour dates though...don't know if thats why theres such a long wait.

12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I was hoping for my sister's sake they'd do something similar to Paramore and drop the album a few weeks after announcing it. I don't know much about the current state of FBR's release politics, but I'm gonna take a guess that they want all the merch, vinyl, etc, to be ready to go so they can make as much money as possible right off the bat. Paramore had a vinyl delay and only a few shirts with their shortened rollout.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, I agree. But that's a good point you make about the merch. I'm assuming they'll go through mac truck's worth of merch during the tour.

14. jasonmerch

East is up. They posted the audio on YouTube and the lyrics are in the description of both songs

paythetab likes this.
  15. AMC

Regular

Pretty young to me

What's are you 15?

16. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

32. I don't feel young at all.

17. AMC

Regular

Start eating better. You're young

18. Brent