Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice – “The Grey” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Thrice have released the video for “The Grey” and posted up pre-orders for their new album. They also sat down with Brooklyn Vegan to talk about the new album:

We were consciously trying to leave our palette really broad. The last record was, I think maybe our most cohesive record, and it was still varied but it had something that really pulled it all together. We consciously wanted this one to be a bit more wild and scattered, I think. That song just came from me messing around with arpeggiated synths on a computer, and singing along with that. And I was like, “that sounds cool, it feels cool, it’s got a cool energy” — something about the tone itself, which was the original tone I demoed it with, it seemed to create the right mood for the melody.

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  2. Liking this song more now than I did hearing the radio rip. Color me excited.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  3. Nice lil interview. Hearing that the new album is more expansive genre-wise is definitely good news.

coleslawed and Bartek T. like this.
  4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

This video is really cool. I have very high hopes for this record :)

5. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Very grateful for the lighting/color choices of the video insofar as there was potential for the cultists painted in black to come across as being in blackface, but I think they managed to largely avoid that danger. Gave me some agita while I was on the set, though!

6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Woah thats awesome, did you get to meet the band at all? That must have been a fun shoot to be a part of.

7. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

The band wasn't on set, sadly. It was both fun and super weird! Everything was shot in this abandoned hospital on the Cal Poly Pomona campus and most people had no idea what the overarching plot was beyond "weird brainwashing cultists" (although I took a quick peek at the treatment while the crew was commiserating on the scene I'm in). They were like, we need footage of ten of y'all walking in a circle. Now walking down some stairs. Now running down a hallway. It was mostly a lot of sitting around in the lobby and talking to fellow extras (almost all music geeks, obviously) while enjoying craft services. Not a bad way to burn a Thursday.

8. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

You know, I had the offer to be there and I really regret not turning out for it. It was only a 3-hour drive for me, but the video turned out really great, and while I would've been bummed that the band wasn't there, this is such a cool and unique experience. I will not pass up an offer to be in a music video again. Thanks for sharing your experience!

DandonTRJ likes this.
  9. Ska Senanake Jul 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2018)
    Ska Senanake

Trusted

That's amazing thanks for sharing. I've always wondered what it must be like to be in a music video. I feel like the whole "The Grey" term and the cultists in the video are Dustin's way of dealing with his recent religious experiences with Mars Hill and how that's reshaped him spiritually. Seems like he is more open minded about what spirituality can be in general rather than just being defined by a Christian sect (not that Dustin has ever seemed particularly secular). Of course I could be totally off :). Pretty cool to see either way.

Jason Tate and DandonTRJ like this.
  10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Excited to get the pre-order - these first pressings looked pretty cool. With shipping and exchange rates to Canada I've really cut back on direct-from-artist/label pre-orders, but even after the easy availability in stores of the last album, I'm always afraid to chance missing out on their vinyl.