Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Maynard James Keenan Denies Rape Allegation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Maynard James Keenan of Tool and A Perfect Circle has denied rape claims made by an anonymous Twitter account earlier this week.

Many thanks to those of you who saw right through this despicable false claim that only does damage to the #metoo movement. And shame on those of you who perpetuate this destructive clickbait. As for my delayed but un-required response, I had my phone off. You should try it.

— Maynard J Keenan (@mjkeenan) June 28, 2018

2. :sly:

3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Believing accusations only hurts the #metoo movement? Interesting, I would’ve thought it was dumbing down an allegation to clickbait.

SuNDaYSTaR, waterloobeam and Carrow like this.
  4. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Giving thanks and congratulations to people "who see through" something they know nothing about is super offputting to me. Fans are tribal enough to defend the artists and athletes they love as it is, no need to encourage it further.

stars143, Saephon and skogsraet like this.
  5. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

So when someone comes forward with these types of stories and identifies themselves, they're "doing it for attention," when someone does it anonymously with seemingly nothing to gain, it's "just a rumor," or "clickbait."

My ~favorite~ thing though is people STILL taking the accused saying "I didn't do it" as absolute truth. People are in the twitter thread going "see" and "thank goodness," as if any of these people have ever come out and said "yes, I did in fact rape an underage teen. Sorry about it." Because, you know, guilty parties just had themselves over an a daily basis. They don't lie about their crimes or anything.

6. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Never thought I'd see such a condescending response to a sexual assault allegation

7. Slave to the Grind

AllenRicketts and Hunter Norman like this.
  8. Hunter Norman

Regular

If we're being fair, there are so many account coming out from women who had consentual relations with him on the road and there was definitely a system in place for these relations to occur that are so far different than this account and how it was lead up to. Not to mention the deletions of the Twitter account and the tweet

9. somethingwitty

Trusted

So the accounts were deleted? Im so confused on this...there were accusations against Trent from the same tour?

10. Hunter Norman Jun 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2018)
    Hunter Norman

Regular

No, the Trent accusation was from 94 in Chicago. But an account was created to post the Maynard accusations and an hour later another account was created for the Trent ones, then they were deleted. Apparently the original account was linked to some 23 year old dudes dating profile. I will always believe any accusation that comes forth but this situation has just played out bizarrely

AllenRicketts likes this.
  11. The account still looks up to me..?

12. buckcheeks

Regular

The email used was linked to a 23 year old man on a dating site.

AllenRicketts and Hunter Norman like this.
  13. meekers

Doesn’t Puscifer have super creepy album titles and lyrics?

Edit:

“V is for Vagina” (2017)
    “Money Shot” (2015)
    “Donkey Punch the Night” EP (2013)
    “Conditions of my Parole” (2011)

14. Hunter Norman

Regular

Ah I thought they were reported deleted, or at least the original thread

15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Color me shocked that a man who literally has his people scout out young girls at shows for him really thinks his fucked up powerplay has never gone wrong.

16. AMC

Regular

w
    what does that mean?

17. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t actually know what Puscifer have to do with this? Can sometime inform me?

18. Slave to the Grind

Maynard is the lead singer of Puscifer, A Perfect Circle and Tool.

19. Slave to the Grind

No one would deny that Maynard is odd but that doesn't make him guilty. i believe the allegations might be true but i also agree with the PRP article stance that we should be cautious of assigning guilt until some of the discrepancies are cleared up.

20. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

21. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Every victim that's a real, live person should be believed 110% of the time, because of the statistics posted here.

In this case, the victim very well might be an anonymous twitter account linked to the dating site of a 23 year old guy. It's extremely possible in this particular sitution that there isn't a victim to be believed, but instead, a troll trying to undercut and attack the credibility of current and future victims who are and will come out.

To me, this is terrifying. Not because of the Tool guy (I don't care one way or the other about him), but because this - if it's true that it's just a troll - will hurt real victims down the road.

Hunter Norman likes this.
  22. Hunter Norman

Regular

That's my thought as well. I'm definitely a fan of Maynard and all of his projects but that has nothing to do with how I view his position here, as I was also a fan of Jesse Lacey and now can't ever view him the same way. This situation does seem to be a little strange in the way its played out, but regardless, if it is indeed a troll I hate the fact that it will make so many doubters hold that much more against victims

23. meekers

I bring up the song titles and lyrics because as we’ve seen with many of the #metoo callouts, artists almost always tip their hat to their fucked up behavior through their art (Lacey, Louis CK, Cosby, etc.). And to those above: Pusicfer is his solo project basically. From wiki, “he considers the project to be his "creative subconscious." In light of this, Puscifer is considered a pseudonym for his solo work.”

Some Puscifer lyrics:

-Drunk with Power:
    “I'm a pirate lost his booty
    I'm a pimp without a dog without a bone”

“Gonna do my best to get 'er back to daddy
    Honey, bring your sweet ass home”

-Vagina (Version):
    “Cock on lock down, she said, "Learn the damn alphabet
    I cum before you, get to payin' your dues"

“Down this vagina mine”

“This vagina mine, one track tunnel vision down
    This vagina mine, one track tunnel vision down
    This vagina mine, one track tunnel vision down
    This vagina mine, one track tunnel vision down”

-Money Shot:
    [Chorus:]
    “Grind away
    Bang away
    (Here come the money shot)
    Finger
    Bang away
    Grind away
    Bang away
    Finger
    Bang away”

-Bone Dub:
    Puscifer Lyrics - Bone Dub

Fucking garbage. This guy is a creep.

24. shibbee

Regular

His lyrics don’t make him guilty though.

Analog Drummer and Hunter Norman like this.
  25. Hunter Norman

Regular

Also, those lyrics are based on sex and sexual imagery but they don't really stand out as predatory, do they?