Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mae – “5 Light Years”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

jasonmerch likes this.
  2. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

Really liking it

3. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

This is a cool song.

4. RazorCrusade

We make our own luck and we live with every defeat Supporter

This is very, very good

5. CMilliken

Trusted

Love it.

6. jasonmerch

I got to go to their studio and be a part of recording some gang vocals for one of their new songs. They played us a few of the new tracks and they're all pretty similar to Five Light Years. I love it because it feels like such a natural evolution for Mae. I love how the songs are longer and change tempo and almost feel like mini movements in and of themselves. They feel like a mix between the morning, afternoon and evening eps with a bit of schematic and a little of destination:Beautiful and the Everglow thrown in. I'm so excited for the new album.

7. failinginplace

Regular

hell yes. this is great.

8. wait what

they're back????

jasonmerch and anonimito like this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

This got me soooo amped!

10. jasonmerch

They've
    Oh yeah, they did a small tour last year and they said that the new album will probably be ready by early fall, hopefully around September/October

11. stringerebrock

Great song. I love anything Mae releases. If it's anything like the eps it will be an awesome album. Definitely hear a mix of previous material in the new song.

12. dlemert

Trusted

This song is rad and growing on me even more. I like how even after all these years you can still instantly tell it's a Mae song.

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This sounds like a great experience.

14. FUCK YEAH

15. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Awesome.

16. jasonmerch

It was a fantastic experience. Such good guys. They autographed my mae record collection and told us some stuff about the new album. Apparently it's currently titled 3.0 and it is going to be released on tooth and nail records. They do plan on releasing it on vinyl as well.

17. That's an interesting title... to signify the third era of the band? MUCH HYPE

e: for those of you on neither Spotify or Apple Music, it's here too -

anonimito and jasonmerch like this.
  18. jeremyfromva

Clever. I dig 3.0

19. jasonmerch

It is pretty interesting. Doesn't really feel like a mae title but I can go with it. It may change though, could have just been a working title but either way, I'm excited for a new Mae album!

Chase Tremaine and anonimito like this.
  20. yeah when I saw it I was like, wait, are they just retconning Singularity? and then it clicked, hahah.

21. jeremyfromva

If it signals a new beginning, I'm all for it. Plus, there's three of them now. It could work.

anonimito and jasonmerch like this.
  22. jasonmerch

Haha well, that's a bit of a sore spot for them so I wouldn't be surprised but yeah, it is a new era. I'm a bit sad that Rob wasn't involved with it but I must say that this feels like such a good transition for them. It feels more mature but I can still hear the mae I know and love

Chase Tremaine and anonimito like this.
  23. I still really enjoy that album tbh, would love a vinyl pressing but that doesn't seem likely

24. Spazzy McGee

Regular

Good to hear a new album is on the way, love the sounds and textures I’m hearing.
    Hearing now that one of the early guitar melodies is echoed in a verse later, those details

25. brothemighty

Trusted

It's called "3.0" lol cmon Dave

Singularity has Just Let Go and Release Me

Bad songs, sure, but they still belong in a better album