Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Instagram Announces IGTV

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Josh Constine, writing for TechCrunch:

Today at a flashy event in San Francisco, the company announced it will begin allowing users to upload videos up to one hour in length, up from the previous one-minute limit. And to house the new longer-form videos from content creators and the general public, Instagram is launching IGTV. Accessible from a button inside the Instagram homescreen, as well as a standalone app, IGTV will spotlight popular videos from Instagram celebrities.

2. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

I don't want this.

cosmickid likes this.
  3. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I don't know if the world needs more platforms for social media celebrities...
    Not that "need" ever has anything to do with it.

slimfenix182 and spencpants like this.
  4. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Interested in seeing how this eventually develops and is used by creators and viewers. Perhaps it's not for me, but I'm sure some people will find some utility in it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. I spent eight minutes watching John Mayer talking about recording and producing "New Light." Would never have gone on YouTube to watch that, but it was convenient (which made it more fun? enjoyable?). I'm so here to watch the creations of people I follow. I'm not too interested in having the popular/trending section, which I feel will be kinda bland and celebrity-oriented.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Nobody was asking for this.

spencpants and hienz4 like this.
  7. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Some cool short-films could come out of this concept

coleslawed likes this.
  8. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

This can be my time to shine, though!

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I'm not so sure. I watch a few YouTubers who have used the platform for almost a decade and they've been very unhappy with it lately (and I've seen them retweet from many others echoing this).

10. I'm good.

11. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

actually i specifically did, i’m glad they listened

But really I don’t remember people clamoring for Instagram Stories, but they did it and has gutted Snapchat. There’s low odds that IGTV makes any dent in YouTube, but I’m sure there’s a spot for IGTV to flourish even without it being a demanded feature.

It’s also easy to avoid/not use, so I don’t really understand the point of the comment tbh

12. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

I guess it just seems redundant to have this many video services that are all going to be ruined by people like Logan Paul anyway. But if it is something you'd use, that's totally cool and I respect it.

Zoshchenko likes this.