Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NOFX Cancel All Their U.S. Shows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Every NOFX show in the U.S. has been canceled. A note from Fat Mike can be found below.

Fuck it! I’m not supposed to talk about it, but because of the comments we made in Las Vegas… every NOFX show has been canceled in the US. We did not drop off the shows…. we were told that NOFX is not welcome to play ANY big venue in the United States. No joke! NOFX has effectively been banned in our own country. This is not our choice, but it is our reality. We are very sorry to our fans, especially the ones in Austin. For now, we are playing in Europe, Mexico, and Canada. The Punk in Drublic Festival is still happening in Europe and other continents. I’m trying my best to bring it back to the US but a lot of people don’t want it to happen. It fuckin sucks! We made a mistake, we apologized, and we gotta suffer the consequences. Maybe it ain’t fair, but whoever said life was. We are just very thankful that our fans are being so supportive. Thanks to all of you!!!!!
    See y’all in Slovenia tomorrow!

2. Well...okay

3. transrebel59

Regular

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

4. TheFrontBortles

it's funny because he mentions venues dropping their shows like it's something people are supposed to get outraged over. Even though they are past their prime, NOFX is still a huge name and it's cool to see venues passing up the money they'd bring in order to make sure that fat mike doesn't have a platform to spew his garbage

mattylikesfilms and Brent like this.
  5. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

That's not exactly cancelling, is it?

[​IMG]

Joel Gustafson and Kiana like this.
  6. gbuffers

England.

Seems a bit overkill to me. Don’t get me wrong - I in no way condone what they said and think they were fucking stupid to say so. I believe they said it purely for the shock factor, which is very, very naive and stupid... therefore they deserve to be punished.

HOWEVER... the amount of sexual abuse stories we’ve seen on this site and in this scene. Are those people banned from every big venue in the US? Doesn’t seem so! Is it just another example of sexual abuse not really being taken seriously?

My point is - if venues want to start having a strong moral compass then they should look at other things AS WELL. Some would, but I’m sure a LOT would condone a Brand New / William Control / (insert 1 of 60 other heinous bands accused of sexual assault here) show

Raku, mattylikesfilms and oldboot like this.
  7. robotsarereal

I back the venues 100% in deciding who they want to book (and don't want to book). I probably wouldn't shy away from booking them personally if I owned a venue (and not because of the money, but because I believe people make dumb mistakes), but they can run their business how they want.

Brent likes this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ya, the same thing crossed my mind when hearing about this.

Raku likes this.
  9. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

how did the venues get together to even do this? Is it something coming from a company like LiveNation or something or did each individual owner have a meeting to discuss this?

Raku, Brent and Saephon like this.
  10. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Other bands deserving the same punishment doesn't make the consequences of their actions "overkill," because it's well deserved and would be deserved for the acts you mentioned. The word you're looking for is hypocritical.

swboyd and Saephon like this.
  11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I kinda hate that the most common reaction anymore to a decision like this is to dismiss or criticize it because the punishment or criticism isn't applied consistently enough. Like you said, the venues should likely also choose not to host other acts for various reasons, but that doesn't make passing on NOFX any less deserved.

Saephon likes this.
  12. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

My question as well. It sounds like there is some overarching body that has banned them for all these shows. A smaller band would be dealing with dozens of venues, promoters, etc. for a given tour and they would all have to stand together to make this happen. Live Nation is probably the answer due to their reach but it's unclear to me from Fat Mike's message.

Raku, Brent and Bayside 182 like this.
  13. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Overweight Michael complaining about "when did punk rock become so safe", while also complaining its no longer a safe space for him to trivialize mass shooting victims.

Here's to hoping euro venues all cancel them too!

Brent, DrAlanGrant and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Part of me hopes that this is what happened to Brand New and any plans they had to tour in 2018.

Raku and Brent like this.
  15. TheFrontBortles

If I had to guess what venues were thinking, I would guess that this isn't supposed to be a punishment for NOFX. Rather given their history of saying inappropriate things, I think the las vegas comments finally tipped the scales toward venues not wanting to worry about what fat mike says on stage. It seems more preventative than punitive to me.

Obviously this is just my conjecture. I havent seen a statement from anyone who was involved with the decision to cancel the shows so I have no actual idea what the thought process was

Raku likes this.
  16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I think that's a pretty good theory. Not worth the risk that your venue is caught on a viral video or associated with them saying something idiotic again.

Raku likes this.
  17. Eclipse

Regular

It may not be one overarching one but probably just a few big companies that own most of the mid size to big concert venues, like Anschutz Entertainment Group owns a lot of them and yeah livenation and such probably had a say in these decisions as well. Although i could be wrong

Raku likes this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Not trying to start a debate, but NOFX is getting banned and AR-15’s have not been.
    I could be wrong.

Considering they play shows drunk and sometimes high, I’m surprised they haven’t received more backlash publicly. They are who they are and have been for decades. Being offended by NOFX while your at their show is kinda like being offended by a stand up comic. You know there is a chance they will go offside at at any moment.

Sure it’s just a momentary deal. Fat Mike got in trouble for the Cokie The Clown thing too, and he bounced back sort of.

19. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I don't think many venues allow AR-15's inside.

Brent likes this.
  20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yet, they they’ve show up at the Bataclan in Paris, at the country music festival concert in Vegas and at club in Orlando.

21. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I fully don't believe that they're getting "banned" from venues. I think Fat Mike is full of shit

22. MikeERayner

Trusted

What’s all this “we” business? Own YOUR mistakes douche bag.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I thought he and Melvin said something according to the report, so yeah, we makes sense.

24. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

This is actually what I immediately thought when reading his statement. A few venues banning them, sure, but every large venue banning them without issuing statements why they chose to do so? And the, he's "not supposed to talk about it" line? I dunno, just seems very odd.

25. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

You're an idiot.