Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Audio Released of Children Separated From Their Parents at the Border

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ginger Thompson, writing at ProPublica:

The desperate sobbing of 10 Central American children, separated from their parents one day last week by immigration authorities at the border, makes for excruciating listening. Many of them sound like they’re crying so hard, they can barely breathe. They scream “Mami” and “Papá” over and over again, as if those are the only words they know.

The baritone voice of a Border Patrol agent booms above the crying. “Well, we have an orchestra here,” he jokes. “What’s missing is a conductor.”

Our government is torturing children. These are the kinds of things that if we read about in history books we would not be able to understand how people let this happen. There will come a time when future generations read about this era in their history books, and they will rightfully judge us. This is sickening.

2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Fuck this entire administration and anyone that supports these disgusting decisions. The cuffs and indictments cannot come soon enough.

littlejohn, Saephon, J.Dick and 5 others like this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Kids crying and screaming in fear and sadness is like the worst sound imaginable and I will never understand how people can hear it and just not care. Like I get people don't see immigrants as human but how can you hear those sounds and not lose it?

Petit nain des Îles and J.Dick like this.
  4. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Even though it doesn't get nearly as much coverage as it should, Canada has a dark history with residential schools and removing native children from their families- basically very similar to what is happening here. It's already the darkest mark on our country, and I think people are going to remember this in a very similar light.

5. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

I had this thought basically verbatim the other day. I can't get over how profoundly barbaric this is.

It's not too late to do something though. I don't know what, mind you, but at least this page hasn't been turned yet.

6. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It's definitely fair that people are making that comparison. You'd hope that we'd come farther than to repeat these mistakes, but it seems we as society have just as little consideration for our fellow humans as previous generations - just use different slogans for justifying the disgusting policies.

beachdude42, Raku and slickdtc like this.
  7. somethingwitty

Trusted

Honestly, what is going on right now? Not in regards to this situation specifically, but with how the country is trending. Has the amalgamation of social media and politics truly destroyed the fabric of what we are? I think the advent of social media has expedited what we're seeing today, in regards to misinformation and deception being pushed to the less educated and easily influenced.

I'm scared.

Raku likes this.
  8. lightning

you kinda answered your own question there i guess. :/

9. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

A near-supermajority of Americans oppose Trump’s treatment of these children.

A bare majority of Republicans, however, support it.

We have found our monsters. They self-identify.

Polls: Trump’s family separation policy is very unpopular — except among Republicans

Saephon likes this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

“Cursed is anyone who withholds justice from the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow.”

11. Been posting “political opinions” (like this very controversial ‘don’t torture kids’ opinion) on my websites since the first one I ever made buddy.

Oh, and go fuck yourself. You disgusting excuse for a human.

12. Dead_Presley

This is so fucking scary. Brings me to tears

13. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Hmmm not even sure being pro let's not ruin a completely innocent child's life and scar them forever is a "political opinion".

This is honestly one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever heard. I feel like this can't be real life

Aaron Mook likes this.
  14. AllenRicketts

Regular

This is really awful. Can't believe their parents would put them in this situation.

Raku likes this.
  15. BradBradley

Regular

I just love that dude’s bullshit stance that being critical of the objectively cruel actions of our government means that you “despise our country” and should “do us all a favor and get the fuck out.” That level of idiocy is equally impressive and depressing. Yes, good sir, blindly accepting the actions and intentions of those in power has never, ever turned out poorly for a society at large. Hey, here’s an idea: maybe the people calling BULLSHIT when they see it are actually the people who want to strive for what our country supposedly stood for. “Give me your tired, your poor...,” then rip them from their children, regard them as subhuman, and revel in their misery. JFC.

I hope that there is an orchestra in hell. That guy has my vote to conduct.

littlejohn, Saephon and Jason Tate like this.
  16. BradBradley

Regular

This is really awful. Can’t believe the privilege that would put someone in the situation to make that post, while simultaneously missing the point that our current government has chosen to enact a policy to deliberately rip children from their parents for no reason other than to theoretically make some sort of example out of them... only to, in fact, serve as an example to the world of how whatever moral superiority that America has claimed in the past was either an illusion or is now dead.

17. Do you know why people seek asylum?

I’m so fucking done with this shit.

littlejohn, Penguin, Arry and 7 others like this.
  18. J.Dick

Regular

I think the real reason is to hold them hostage until Democrats agree to fund a $20 billion wall. Shameful

Raku likes this.
  19. Dead_Presley

I’m so ashamed to be part of the US. This is absolutely disgusting

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I was born in Nicaragua and came to the states when I was 3. I'm one of the lucky ones who had a mostly uneventful journey to citizenship when so many Central Americans are given ludicrous and decisively unfair hoops to jump through just to prove they're not here to freeload. But I'm hit profoundly harder than most by the horror of what's going on because that could've been me or my family. Ever since becoming a father, the sound of children crying over their parents in any capacity has become the quickest way to devastate me. It makes no sense that there are people who would have the balls to post here implying that we're the ones who are wrong for being mortified.

I'm long past being outraged at this used diaper of an administration or by people who find nothing wrong with these actions and even cheer them on. There's nothing left for me in getting mad about it. But I truly hope they one day understand what it's like to live in a world where they're not born at the front of the line and have to explain to others why they deserve to eat and try to create a better life for their children.

21. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well. Hell, I don't recall even brushing the subject in History class when I was a kid.

22. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

That's exactly what their plan is. Every time they say "congress needs to fix this", what they mean is that they want a bill that includes funding for that stupid wall. They White House even said they won't consider a standalone bill to address the issue.

Raku and J.Dick like this.
  23. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

If this dude thinks that punk rock doesn't mix with politics, he's wrong.

*EDIT* obviously I mean the dweeb Jason was responding to.

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

We had a surprisingly decent education on aboriginals in elementary school (quebec), but most of what I know about residential schools comes from whatever I've learned on my own, talking to native friends, etc. The last residential school was closed in 1996 which is incidentally the first year I started attending school which is really the most shocking thing to me.

You still see some severe institutional issues on reservations in large part due to the generational trauma of being taken from your family, forced to adopt "white" culutre, along with facing sexual, physical and emotional assault every step of the way. A lot of the kids who came out of the residential schooling system are... really not fucking okay. One day, kids will stop being put in internment camps, things will get better, etc., but as a society, america is going to have to deal with a generation of seriously traumatized young people (on top of the racism they're bound to face), and that's just going to lead to jailing these people en masse. This is only the first step, I think the effects of trump's immigration policy are really going to be most felt in 1-2 decades when these 10 year old kids become of age and have to cope with what's going on right now.

25. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The worst is that we did what we did to the natives and then, at least here, we whine that those populations often resent or don't trust white people like duh??? They are the victims but let's turn it around on them cause they call people White Bread sometimes, sounds about equal in terms of damage and trauma. And I guarantee when some of these kids in CAGES grow resentful and call people gringos, people gonna act like they are personally victimized smh

SuNDaYSTaR and mercury like this.