Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

This Clarinetist’s Career Was Derailed by a Deleted Scholarship Letter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brianna Sacks, writing at BuzzFeed:

Eric Abramovitz had been training for this moment for nearly his entire life: the opportunity to study under one of the best clarinet teachers on the planet, on a full-ride scholarship to a prestigious music conservatory in Los Angeles. […] What happened next, outlined in interviews and court documents filed in Abramovitz’s successful lawsuit against Lee, paint the picture of a promising “what if” life trajectory knocked off its rails by what a Canadian judge called “despicable interference” by a selfish girlfriend.

This story is bonkers. I sent it to my violinist girlfriend and she read the entire thing slack-jawed.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

absolutely insane. I remember going for my doctorate and I was up for a full tuition plus living expenses assistantship. It was between me and one other guitarist and the other guy got it.. I was crushed for a long time from that.. I know how it feels.. if someone came to me now and said actually you got that and it was so and so that blocked you.. I couldn't imagine how upset I would be,

FTank likes this.
  3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

absolutely abhorrent behavior

4. that's insane

5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Wowww

6. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

5 years until Hollywood turns this into a Best Picture candidate with Andrew Garfield

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s fucking insane. I got rejected from Colburn last year so this story really made me think haha

teebs41 likes this.
  8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

not nearly on the same level, but I missed out on studying abroad in Australia because the professor I needed to get approval from apparently “didn’t use email,” which I was not made aware of until a week after the deadline.

Penguin and teebs41 like this.
  9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

and folks act like im crazy for logging out and protecting my passwords obsessively

10. Jared Luttrell

Regular

What an insane story, I'm glad he was still able to make something of his musical career. I can't imagine he will actually see that money though, at least any time soon.

11. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

It's about a Jewish guy in Montreal, so of course, it'll be played by Jay Baruchel.