Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Oral History of The Gaslight Anthem’s ‘The ’59 Sound’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Robert Mays, writing at The Ringer, has put together an oral history of The Gaslight Anthem’s The ’59 Sound:

The intangible thing of “The ’59 Sound,” it didn’t mean anything about the ’50s. I didn’t imagine people banging on jukeboxes and Fonzie and all that. I’m not interested in any of that. To me, it reminded me of my grandmother and a time where simpler things were valued more. Friendships, relationships, and that kind of thing. There weren’t so many distractions. You didn’t have so many goals. Now, a kid grows up, and he could be anything. That’s great, but it’s also very daunting. Because which one of the anythings do you be?

Chris Prindle likes this.
  2. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

This is a fantastic article! Thanks for posting

3. God, this is so good.

4. AVanMill17 Jun 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2018)
    AVanMill17

Regular

That was such a great read. That album will always mean the world to me. Chills every time those vinyl crackles start at the beginning of "Great Expectations".

5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Incredible article. Paints such a vivid picture into the making of the album. Can’t wait until August to see them.

6. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Awesome article.

Will always be a classic album for me.

7. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Listening to the new demo disc definitely makes me realize how much the production is essential to the timelessness of the album proper.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Loved every word of this.

Essie and Chris Prindle like this.
  9. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Been listening to this all day since reading...the self awareness this band has is something I greatly respect, and there are some great quotes/advice for upcoming musicians to take from this.

10. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Modern classic indeed

11. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Also surprised to learn Flogging Molly has a gold record.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  12. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

This is a titanic piece. Mays is so good.

13. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Best quote:

Kyle Roggendorf (guitar tech/friend): I said to my wife, “I talked to Brian. Don’t freak out. Bruce is there.” And she goes, “What do I care? It’s not Jon Bon Jovi.”

Fantastic read, I'm gonna blast '59 Sound all day today. It's been a while.

14. CAC3

Dog

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I found the stuff about Brian and Bruce's relationship fascinating. How does all this press/love these guys are getting not lead to them blessing us with another album?

15. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

Blasting the record while reading this makes it even more incredible.

Essie likes this.
  16. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

It has to be Drunken Lullabies, right? That sold a fair number of copies.

17. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

great read even though i never really got into this record. we really need more of these types of articles on things.

18. Incredible read. I'll never forget their set at Reading 2009 as my introduction to them. I need to give this album a fresh listen because it's been way too long.