Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HAIM Fire Their Booking Agent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sam Moore, writing for NME:

Haim have spoken out about their decision to sack one of their agents after they discovered that they’d been paid significantly less for a festival appearance than a male artist they shared the bill with.

The California trio didn’t disclose which festival show they’d been underpaid for, but they did say that the experience of receiving less than 10 times the pay of that undisclosed male artist was “fucked up”.

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

"Sharing the Bill" - that means just part of the same festival right not same time slot? Do all festivals even have to disclose how much other artists get paid for the festival? I'm now interested in how festival contract negotiations happen.

3. DearCory

Regular

4. MikeERayner

Trusted

Non story without more facts.

Brent likes this.
  5. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I like Haim but everything I hear about them behind the scenes makes them out be spoiled entitled brats. All acts have their agents negotiate fees. Was the act that they're referring to the headliner? Headliners from festivals can often make $2-3 million even so, if Haim played for $200k, yes that's 10x LESS but still a competitive fee.

ihaveblink, Brent and LCT Music like this.
  6. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

The labor and artistry of women is so devalued that demanding to be paid the same as your peers makes people call us “spoiled entitled brats” so that’s cool.

PROMO DOESN’T PAY THE BILLS. IT DOESN’T PAY FOR THE GEAR. YOU CAN’T EAT PROMO AND RADIO PLAYS.

7. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’m sure HAIM definitely need someone explaining the contract dynamics of festival headliners vs. non-headliners.

That is almost certainly not information that they would have already acquired.

8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Women are continuously underpaid throughout entertainment industries, so I’m sure they had a valid reason for being “entitled”.

KidLightning and BirdPerson like this.
  9. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

imagine if all-male group made the decision to stop working with an agent that they thought was undervaluing them... that would be "smart" or "show confidence" and definitely not make them "spoiled entitled brats" lol

10. Phil507

Yes, women ARE underpaid in the entertainment industry but issues like this are distracting from the real issue. It should be more than obvious that every act at a festival isn't paid the same and their fees are negotiated by their agents. I get the feeling this was a radio station festival which, historically, many acts take a cut in pay (or even play for free) in the hopes that it will result in more airplay from the station. If said "male artist" had their agent negotiate a higher fee then, as Haim, if I was at an equal level on the bill I would definitely pissed but not due to gender pay inequality. If the headliner was Madonna who got paid 10x more than Haim, would we be having the same discussion?

DearCory likes this.
  11. Phil507

You know, I may have been unfair in using that term but, that being said, if it was a group of all males I'd still probably come to the same conclusion and used the same phrase.

12. personalmaps

I guess you decided this must be about a headliner, but I’m pretty sure everyone knows the headliner makes more so I feel quite confident in saying that’s not the case! No one should be taking pay cuts or playing for free- artists deserve to be paid. It’s a broken system. It gets fixed by artists like Haim using their platform to create repercussions for those upholding a toxic environment and blatant misogyny.

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

How does festival pay even work? I always assumed artists set their price, which wouldn't make sense here. So what happens?

Richter915 likes this.
  14. personalmaps

Also, please enlighten me as to what the “real issue” is that this is distracting from lmao.

15. Phil507

I didn't decide because the information wasn't provided, was just using that as an example. Also, the article didn't state that they played for free:

"Haim have spoken out about their decision to sack one of their agents after they discovered that they’d been paid significantly less for a festival appearance than a male artist they shared the bill with."

They are probably smart in firing their booking agent but without additional details, I don't think we can jump to the misogyny conclusion yet.

16. Phil507

I believe that's the case though, in the case of events like radio station shows, some artists relax their fees or (for up and coming acts) even play for free in the hopes that will garner them more airplay. It was a huge thing in the late 90's/early 00's for bands to play these radio station events as a way to promote their latest single/new album.

17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

“We weren’t provided with all of the details, so let’s go ahead and just make up some details and then use those made up details as a way to prove that they are entitled.”

Cool, cool. And why can’t we jump to the misogyny conclusion again?

18. I like when men tell women what the “real issue” is. It’s good actually. Very good.

awwgereee, oldjersey, Connor and 15 others like this.
  19. Phil507

The "real issue" I was referring to was mentioned, that there is significant undervaluing of women in the entertainment industry and a pay gap that needs to be fixed. I....don't think that was the argument. I honestly had no idea if I was addressing woman or man so wasn't implying it in those terms.

ihaveblink likes this.
  20. You know who Haim are. Maybe it’s time to walk away from the internet for a while.

Connor and AshlandATeam like this.
  21. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Actually, they crush it on stage every night and earn everything they have and more.

22. Phil507

Indeed I do! I've even seen them play live several times and enjoyed them (and still do!) I wasn't aware they were commenting in this thread which I was responding to though.

23. Seriously. Log off. This is going very badly for you.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  24. Phil507

I don't dispute this. I've heard whisperings that they're very particular about their placement on festival posters which, to be fair, a lot of artists are so my previous description wasn't entirely fair. As another example, The Weeknd apparently dropped off of Lollapalooza last year due to him being pissed that Chance The Rapper was billed above him which in MY personal opinion is an example of brat behavior but I know everyone else has their ow interpretations.

25. Phil507

Thanks for the tip, just trying to have a discussion. As I've stated in SEVERAL threads, I'm all for having civil discussions. If we've come to the part where it's just resorting to smug shaming then I will happily walk away.