Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weezer’s “Africa” Is Their First Hit in a Long Time

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Pitchfork:

Weezer have hit the Billboard Hot 100 chart with their cover of “Africa.” Their version of the Toto classic, in at No. 89, is their highest charting song since “(If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To” reached No. 81 in 2009.

2. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Kinda bizarre to me. The cover isn't bad or anything but I didn't find it particularly good either. It felt like it tried way too hard to mimic the original and didn't really add much of a Weezer sound to it. That's just my opinion though, clearly it's well liked.

3. ianzandi

Regular

Honestly, I preferred the Relient K cover. This whole thing is so bizarre but I’m happy for them

4. Analog Drummer

Regular

I think I liked Rosanna better. For reasons above that it sounded to close to Toto

Wasn’t Feels Like Summer a hit. Or just on other charts ?

Jared Luttrell and AMC like this.
  5. CMilliken

Trusted

Relient K’s was definitely better. Still enjoy any Weezer I can get though.

6. AMC

Regular

Yeah that song was pretty big. At least I thought it was.

7. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

Since we're talking about Africa covers, I'd like to throw this one into the conversation.

8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

TIL Quietdrive is still around.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. bloodinthesand

Regular

Best song ever written

Analog Drummer likes this.
  10. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I’mma let you finish, but Andy McKee had the greatest Africa cover of all time.

simplejack likes this.
  11. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Weezer is long overdue for some sort of b-sides/covers compilation. Outside of the blue/Pinkerton reissues there are still like 10-15 professionally recorded songs that are hard to find. I imagine it's a bitch now because they've been on a number of labels.

12. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

I am so on board with what everyone in this thread is saying. I was so underwhelmed by this cover, it’s just...boring. And a bunch of my friends love it and I just don’t get it. To further echo everyone else, my first thought was “Relient K should show them how to properly cover this”