Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Forum Highlight: “Chorus Music Club Society”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

One of the best parts of our forum community are the bonds people create over introducing someone to a new band, or album, they haven’t heard before. One of the great ways this happens is in the “Chorus Music Club Society” thread. As the brainchild of forum user Bad Frequencies I figured it was best to have him describe it:

The Chorus Music Club Society (CMCS) is a music trade and review club that functions like a book club and is a gateway to get exposed to music you wouldn’t have thought to listen to before and expose others to your favorites. Each session, which runs Monday through the following Monday, you are partnered with someone different. The two of you talk and decide between 1-2 albums to trade with eachother at the beginning of the session that the other hasn’t heard before. Throughout the week, you listen to the albums your partner has given you and when you have a good grasp on it, report back and review it (why you liked/didn’t like it, favorite/least favorite songs, rating, RIYL and so on).

There is no length requirement for the review, they can be as long or short as you like, as long as it expresses your feelings on the album. This allows you to meet people you wouldn’t have met before on the threads, listen to artists you might not have thought to listen to, and share your favorites with others in a sense of community and a sharing of love for music. Many of us have discovered new favorite albums this way! On top of this, we also have added reviews of concerts you have been to as well as release day reviews, which are optional.

It’s very simple to join, simply contact Bad Frequencies or post in the thread saying you want to join or have questions.

Mary V, Micool1, SamLevi11 and 6 others like this.
  2. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

@Kevo is gonna love this! Awesome to see the Club get a news plug like that!

Davjs, Mary V, teebs41 and 6 others like this.
  3. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Can confirm the club society is stellar.

Davjs, SamLevi11, teebs41 and 6 others like this.
  4. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

This is super cool! Love that you’re promoting it like this

5. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Very cool to see this on the main page! Should we post our recent testimonials? Haha!!!

6. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

You’re welcome to join us, friend :)

7. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

And yes thank you @Jason Tate for posting this, thanks so much.

Mary V, teebs41, Kingjohn_654 and 6 others like this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Sweet!!!

9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is my favourite thing on this forum and I'm so glad I stumbled across it.

J O I N U S

10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

This is a cool idea. If I thought I would be a reliable participant, I would totally join. But with job, wife, kids, etc., I'd probably be flaky.

mercury, bachna84, anonimito and 2 others like this.
  11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

If things get hectic you can always choose to be “benched” for a few weeks

12. Nate_Johnson Jun 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 12, 2018)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I have a wife, kid, baby on the way and I moved 10 hours away 2 months ago and have still been able to stay active. You can do this!

13. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

This is interesting and i think I’d enjoy it! This sort of thing would’ve been much more difficult before streaming services and having basically every album ever made on your phone instantly

14. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Been doing this since Feb and it’s become my favourite thing about this website. The threads full of awesome people who are really welcoming.

I’ve gotten into loads of cool bands through this including some out of my comfort zone. It’s also been super fun seeing people enjoy some of my recs and reading their great reviews.

If anyone’s thinking of joining but are unsure, the threads really friendly and the rules a fairly relaxed. So there’s no need to worry about having to let people down or having to write a massive review.

15. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Haha if we're comparing situations, I've got twin boys who are 20 months old, a wife, three dogs, and three cats (the cats are clearly the most demanding). But I do get what you and others are saying. I'll definitely think about it!

anonimito and Nate_Johnson like this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I demand pictures of the pets.

Davjs, anonimito and Nate_Johnson like this.