Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Adam Lazzara Produces New Modern Chemistry EP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Adam Lazzara, of Taking Back Sunday, has produced the new Modern Chemistry EP, Dreaming Adjacent. The EP will be out May 7th and the full press release is below.

These days I feel I have seen a lot bands just expect things to happen for them,” he continues. “Things like the image and idea of being in a band getting to record music and perform on stage has become more important than the actual work it takes to make those things happen. Modern Chemistry is not that band. They are so hard-working and treated every decision, no matter how small, with great care. I’m very proud that they were gracious enough to let me into the process.

A few months ago, New Brunswick, NJ’s recent breakout alternative rock four-piece MODERN CHEMISTRY drove overnight from their February 6 show at Wonder Bar in NJ straight to a small studio situated behind a house in a wooded part of Charlotte, NC with a secret. They were about to be the first band produced by Taking Back Sunday’s legendary frontman Adam Lazzara, if they could squeeze time in between dates of their successful six-date “New Jersey World Tour.”
    “Being in the studio is one of my favorite parts about what I get to do,” states Lazzara. “Over the years, the production/engineering side of things has fascinated me more and more so I was hoping an opportunity would present itself for me to step into that role, taking what I had picked up along the way with me. The timing with Modern Chemistry couldn’t have been better. It was my first time on the other side of the board so I was nervous going into the sessions. I knew we didn’t have a lot of time but more importantly they were trusting me with their work. As a musician myself, I know how important that is and the weight that comes with it. We had become friends from playing shows together so there was a level of familiarity and comfort going in which made for an even better experience during the sessions. I also personally think the songs they chose to work on are great, so that helped as well,” adds Lazzara.

“These days I feel I have seen a lot bands just expect things to happen for them,” he continues. “Things like the image and idea of being in a band getting to record music and perform on stage has become more important than the actual work it takes to make those things happen. Modern Chemistry is not that band. They are so hard-working and treated every decision, no matter how small, with great care. I’m very proud that they were gracious enough to let me into the process.”

Lazzara, a long time inspiration to all of the members of Modern Chemistry, is also currently in the midst of recording his 7th studio album with Taking Back Sunday. He and his band have had a very successful career spanning over a decade; with multiple gold records, international acclaim and heralded songwriting.

Joe Zorzi, guitarist and vocalist for Modern Chemistry recounts how he felt when the opportunity presented itself. “We didn’t have a ton of time to put this whole thing together. It was a wild four days where we spent almost every second in the studio and we couldn’t be more excited with how everything worked out. We had never worked with a producer before so we didn’t really know what to expect. Adam was awesome at helping us shape sounds without changing what these songs were meant to be. He’s been one of my biggest influences musically since day one, so it was really something special to have him help us.”

Rounding out the production team was local Engineer Mike Pepe, whose work with Adam on the current Taking Back Sunday album, and familiarity with the studio, helped keep things cohesive and moving along. “Mike had this excitement about recording combined with a superhuman ability to work from 11am until 4am. The last day we didn’t even wrap up until 7:30 in the morning,” adds Zorzi.

This EP is a fresh view of where we’re at in our lives right now” says Zorzi. “Dreaming Adjacent is about being a little more self-aware and learning to see situations from more than just your own vantage point… which is sometimes really tough to do.”

This is the third EP for the New Jersey band, who after self-releasing the first two and doing countless local club and basement shows, also managed to tour most of North America in 2015 with frankiero andthe cellabration. They have played shows with Taking Back Sunday, Citizen, Motion City Soundtrack, Turnover and more, have landed spots on coveted festivals like SXSW, South By Sowhat? and Riot Fest and recently appeared on the cover of local weekly The Aquarian, all before they have even signed to a record label or hired a booking agent. Modern Chemistry is planning to recording a full length later in the year and continuing touring in support of all of their releases.

Track Listing

1. Part Three
    2. Cutting Space
    3. Oil Spill Interlude
    4. Carolina
    5. Reflux Interlude

2. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Wish he'd focus on a solo record. Excited to hear his production work though.

3. Loki

God of mischief

I guess I have to check these guys out then...

4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

He talked about the possibility on a podcast he did a couple months ago. It sounded like just making the one solo song was kind of daunting for him, so he wasn't eager to do an album. But he didn't rule it out.