Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Music Rolling Out Update With ‘Coming Soon’ Section

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot Jun 8, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2018)
    Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mitchel Broussard, writing at MacRumors:

Apple appears to be rolling out a series of updates for Apple Music today, including a small but useful new section called “Coming Soon,” which allows subscribers to check out new albums about to be released over the next few weeks. […] In another addition, Apple is now making it possible to easily see album launch dates on their respective pages on iOS and macOS. In the Editors’ Notes section, following the traditional encouragement to add the pre-release album to your library, there’s a new line that begins “Album expected…” followed by the album’s specific release date.

Some nice updates, but really what I want is one feed/section that simply gives me a chronological listing of newly released albums from people already in my collection. Friday morning I should be able to look one place and see all the new albums from people Apple Music already knows I like and listen to. I’m cool with a smaller scattering of recommendations for new music I may like under that main list as well, but finding the newly released albums from artists I already love should be easy. Half the time I’ll forget I pre-added an album that’s out today and this kind of reminder would be great. Hell, so many of my friends don’t even know their favorite band released new music over the past five years. This is a solvable problem.

UPDATE: I was just looking around in the new Apple Music, and I don’t know if this is new or not, but if you go to the “For You” section and scroll to the very bottom, there’s a “New Releases” section. Clicking “See All” seems pretty close to what I’m talking about. However, it’s definitely missing things from artists in my collection with new albums. For example, that Lykke Li album released today isn’t in my listing even though all of her albums are in my library.

2. atlastitsok

Regular

I loved that feature about Rdio - someday Apple will get it I hope

memoir_of_the_hawk likes this.
  3. copey

Regular

This has been there since the iOS 10 update to AM.

Unfortunately it's not very comprehensive and completely ignores singles.

4. memoir_of_the_hawk

Yes, yes, a thousand times this. I've tried so many other services—Record Bird, Swarm.fm, Last.fm—and it's unbelievable that I can't get a list of new releases from artists in my collection. I wish Apple could figure this out. It's something that Rdio had years ago.

5. copey

Regular

AM also doesn't do a very good job of putting new songs into the New Music Mix on Friday's - that is treated more like Spotify's Discover Weekly. RecordBird is the best way to get a comprehensive list of new albums/songs. It's unfortunate that not one single streaming service handles this well, since Rdio's demise. Makes no sense at all.

6. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

It's truly mind boggling at how bad both Apple Music and Spotify are notifying their subscribers of new music from artists they already follow

7. buckcheeks

Regular

As Jason pointed out in the edited part of this posting, go to “For You” and scroll to the bottom. There’s a section called “New Releases” that is pretty close to being what you want. It’s new releases from artists you have listened to. It’s been there since iOS 10, but it’s somewhat hidden.

8. It also doesn't really work. It's missing all kinds of things I have in my library, doesn't point out new singles, and is pretty bare bones right now. it's on the right path, but it really could be fixed to be 90% of what I'd want it to be with just a little massaging.

9. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i just want to be able to view my albums by year in the app

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

smart playlists

it's only by songs but that's what i do

11. Kennedy

I need by albums! Someone email Apple and complain for me

12. Smart playlist:

[​IMG]
    Then: View > View As > Albums

or command+J and:

[​IMG]

13. cwhit

he wants it on the app though

Kennedy likes this.
  14. iTunes is an app. And smart playlists work in the iOS apps too.

15. cwhit

i'm pretty sure he wants to be able to view by year in an album view instead of just a list of songs on his phone

Kennedy likes this.
  16. Kennedy

I mean on my iPhone

17. Kennedy

Yes

cwhit likes this.
  18. Add the year as "sort as" for the album via iTunes, and it'll do that.

19. Kennedy

im lazy and i want an algorithm to do all that work for me haha

20. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

This is great, thanks Jason! I’ve been wanting to view it like this for awhile now.

Jason Tate likes this.