Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, the documentary about Fred Rogers, is now out in select cities. The director was recently interviewed for MEL Magazine and shared this great tidbit:

There’s one detail that I really liked that’s not in the film, which is he felt like the shows should be evergreen. As he often said, the outside world of the child changes, but the inside of the child never changes. So he thought his shows should play the same to two-year-olds now or 20 years ago. But as the years would go on, he would find things that had happened in old episodes that didn’t feel current, where maybe he used a pronoun “he” instead of “they” — or he met a woman and presumed that she was a housewife. So he would put on the same clothes and go back and shoot inserts and fix old episodes so that they felt as current as possible, so that he could stand by them 100 percent. I’ve never heard of that happening — it’s kind of amazing.

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

going to try to see this tomorrow. i've been doing some research on his background since this movie started being publicized and he seems like a super fascinating person behind the show

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Absolutely incredible tidbit. Gotta see this movie, the reaction to the trailer alone was impressive when sitting in the theatre

Larry David likes this.
  4. robotsarereal

I saw it at a film festival in April and it's a really great documentary. I'm pretty sure at least 50-75% of the theater was in tears at the end. It has great heart.

5. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

I was raised watching him since PBS was all we really had. I am so excited to watch this and bawl my eyes out

summertimejesus and Jason Tate like this.
  6. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Will watch. Will cry. Will plan ahead and stuff my pockets with tissues.

summertimejesus likes this.
  7. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I really wanna see this, even the trailer made me cry.

8. Ska Senanake

Trusted

For those that haven't seen this video it's a must watch:

coleslawed likes this.
  9. robotsarereal

That video clip is in the movie... it's a really incredible section of the film

10. thecobrakais

Regular

oh how the world needs more people like Fred. the trailer alone brought me to tears. my kids watch Daniel tiger's neighborhood and it affects them the same way this show did back then. amazing. it's really fascinating and yet disheartening to see how the world steals the joy away from what humans instincually feel.

11. Mr. Rogers was a hallmark of my childhood and I will definitely be seeing this at some point, whether I get to it in theaters or not

12. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

Saw the movie yesterday and can confirm the majority of the theater was crying throughout the whole movie. Good luck getting through it with dry eyes. It’s incredible.

13. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Just got out of a theatre and this was true of the crowd. Very warm movie.

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

As others have said - This is incredible.

15. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I’ve never been madder at Fox News than I was at the clips they showed in this movie

16. Dog with a Blog

The last minute of this turned me into a puddle.

Serh likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Completely beautiful

Dog with a Blog likes this.