Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Prince Album Coming This Fall

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

A new posthumous release from Prince, called Piano & A Microphone 1983, will be released on September 21st via Warner Bros. Records. The album is 35 minutes long and will feature nine tracks that Prince recorded to Cassette at his home studio. One of the songs from the album, a rendition of “Mary Don’t You Weep,” is available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Track Listing

1. 17 Days
    2. Purple Rain
    3. A Case Of You
    4. Mary Don’t You Weep
    5. Strange Relationship
    6. International Lover
    7. Wednesday
    8. Cold Coffee & Cocaine
    9. Why The Butterflies

Larry David likes this.
  2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Great news, and not surprising. He recorded stuff constantly, most of it just didn't see the light of day.

3. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I say it every time, this isn't right.

I'm not even a Prince fan.

4. Why? From the accounts from family and friends he wanted the music released after his death.

Larry David likes this.
  5. ManchesterOrch8

I'm not a Prince fan, but I know a few that are obsessed. The little that I do know over the years, is that he was very very particular about his discography. He canceled records days from being released. He hated anyone releasing anything that he did not touch. I've never heard that he intended on releasing anything. I've not researched it, to be honest, but friends would constantly talk about all the records they were sure they'd never hear because he'd probably never put them out.

To see family, that he may or may not have acknowledged or been on good terms with, making deals with people and companies he widely regarded as "the devil", removing his belongings from the vault and making his life a sideshow attraction like Graceland, making money showing people his bedroom, it all just strikes me as all kinds of not okay.

Dude wanted to be left alone and to be weird.

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This isn't his family vault-digging though, right? Pretty sure this is Warner Brothers. He signed this deal himself while he was alive, including the expanded/archival Purple Rain remaster. So he obviously wasn't entirely morally opposed to archival releases of his material.

Larry David and Jason Tate like this.
  7. ManchesterOrch8

I haven't talked about Prince this much in my life, but from what I've been told - the new deal included an all new record, not archival material from the Vault.

I know he signed a deal for distribution with WB to regain his albums, but I don't think they retain rights to any Vault material. But we'll see how the future shakes out.

8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

If he recorded it in '83, Warner had the rights to it already. The deal was for new music and to take care of his existing Warner catalog, which had been shelved.

Larry David and Jason Tate like this.