Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 – Give Yourself A Try

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On June 1st, 2018, The 1975 finally announced that the name of their new album would be A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships and released the brilliant single, “Give Yourself a Try.”

The first and most recognizable part of the song is the looped Adam Hann guitar riff that sounds almost abrasive, however the lyrics and Matt Healy’s vocals quickly bring the listener in with his trademark croon. The drum beat from George Daniel is precise and consistent, with very little variation. This beat is likely intentionally simplistic to bring the attention back to the lyrical content and soaring choruses. The bass line from Ross MacDonald complements the drum beat, however it’s not in the forefront as much as it was on the band’s previous two full lengths. The guitar and vocals are clearly what propel this song.

From a lyrical perspective, Healy’s self-reflection is easy to tune into from the beginning as he sings:

You learn a couple things when you get to my age
    Like friends don’t lie and it all tastes the same in the dark
    When your vinyl and your coffee collection is a sign of the times
    You’re getting spiritually enlightened at 29

I think this preview of the content on the incomplete upcoming album showcases some of the writing style to expect on the new LP when it arrives this Fall.

The chorus of the track features various sung versions of the title, and features some of the best vocal work of Healy’s young career. The second verse is broken into two parts: more self-reflection in the first half and a personal story of Healy learning about a young girl who committed suicide:

I found a grey hair in one of my zoots
    Like context in a modern debate I just took it out
    The only apparatus required for happiness is your pain and fucking going outside
    And getting STD’s at 27 really isn’t the vibe
    Jane took her own life at 16
    She was a kid who had the box tattooed on her arm
    And I was 25 and afraid to go outside
    A millennial that baby-boomers like

In the final verse, Healy gets even more personal by opening up about his drug use and lifestyle. Additionally, he begins to think about what has led him to this point in his life/career and has a good sense of humor about his band’s success:

And what would you say to your younger self?
    Growing a beard’s quite hard
    And whiskey never starts to taste nice
    And you’ll make a lot of money, and it’s funny
    ‘Cause you’ll move somewhere sunny and get addicted to drugs
    And spend obscene amounts on fucking seeds and beans online

Overall, this track has made the already rabid 1975-fanbase get even more excited for what is to come from the October 2018 album (and many even wondering about the second album teased for 2019). “Give Yourself a Try” accomplishes the rare feat of pleasing a large group of fans with a song that is worthy of having on loop for hours on end. That is until the next track arrives for us to dissect.

smowashere likes this.
  2. maxracer

goes hard

Larry David likes this.
  3. Still not a fan of this song...

Helloelloallo and macbethfan like this.
  4. rbf737

Regular

I like it but I don't feel like most people would like it/don't think it makes for a good single so it's a bit curious to me. The production between the guitar tone and the drums make it feel like a demo or a Drive Like I Do track maybe. But yeah; I like it.

5. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Not a fan of the music. Love the lyrics, but the music was a total miss for me.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  6. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

This one has grown on me big time. I fully love it now.

Larry David and Jason Tate like this.
  7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

This is the second 1975 song I like and I like it a lot

Larry David likes this.
  8. atlastitsok

Regular

Definitely a miss musically for me. The guitar was just a bad choice.

Helloelloallo likes this.
  9. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

It has almost 7 million plays on Spotify already. So insane.

Larry David and Jason Tate like this.
  10. prattsy

Regular

Just some constructive criticism, please don't think I'm being an ass - just some friendly tips for someone who used to (albeit briefly) do this full-time.

Don't be afraid to go deeper, or have a firm position when writing a review. This reads to me as simply a summary of the song - 'the guitar/vocals are focus', here's the lyrics and how I interpret them. :-) Even if it's simply a personal connection and an anecdote - it still reads more interesting (see Craig Manning who does this quite well)

Personally, I can't get my head around the few lines re: Jane. What's the point of that in the song? Two lines about a random girl who committed suicide and her tattoo, and then back to himself... Oh! Is that it? To show that at 25 he was self-absorbed? Someone just ended her own life, and he's a decade older and complaining how he's scared to go outside... People had problems bigger than him and he didn't care?

currytheword, paythetab and cosmickid like this.
  11. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Thanks for the feedback! I greatly appreciate all of our reader's thoughts on the reviews, and learning from someone who has done reviews before is always encouraged. I agree that I took a different approach on this single review than I would have for an album review. Thanks again for reading and for the advice.

Mr. Serotonin and prattsy like this.
  12. heymattrick

Sending my love

I think they’re both examples of people NOT “giving themselves a try”.