Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why No One Answers Their Phone Anymore

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 31, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Alexis C. Madrigal, writing at The Atlantic:

When you called someone, if the person was there, they would pick up, they would say hello. If someone called you, if you were there, you would pick up, you would say hello. That was just how phones worked. The expectation of pickup was what made phones a synchronous medium.

I attach no special value to it. There’s no need to return to the pure state of 1980s telephonic culture. It’s just something that happened, like lichen growing on rocks in the tundra, or bacteria breaking down a fallen peach. Life did its thing, on and in the inanimate substrate. But I want to dwell on the existence of this cultural layer, because it is disappearing.

No one picks up the phone anymore.

2. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

It has literally been 2 months since I even received a call on my phone lmao. And I think I'm scared of phonecalls anyway ever since I had a horrible job in a call centre making hundreds of calls a day, so I only answer calls from family regardless. Weird.

IATAvalanche and CMilliken like this.
  3. say_hello_to_good_times

If you aren't in my contacts, there is a next to zero percent chance that I will answer.

Otherwise, it strongly depends on "who" and "when."

mercury and CMilliken like this.
  4. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah basically the only time I answer is if they're in my contacts or I'm expecting a call from like my Dr. or auto mechanic etc. Otherwise, no chance in hell i'm answering.

5. oneeightytwo

Regular

If they want you that bad they’ll leave a message.

6. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Coincidentally I got a lot better at leaving voicemails because of this trend (yes, I know, but I have to leave them for work...)

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I still talk to people on the phone. I’d much rather here a voice than read a paragraph of a text if we’ll be talking for a while.

davecerv, Youarcade, Essie and 2 others like this.
  8. trevorshmevor May 31, 2018
    (Last edited: May 31, 2018)
    I not only don’t mind, but actually enjoy talking on the phone to this day. Keeps long distance friendships much healthier than texting ever could, and opens the door to more information or context being delivered in short conversations. Plus if I answer a number I don’t know and it turns out to be someone I don’t want to talk to, it’s pretty easy to just... hang up. Seems really silly to miss a potential emergency call on purpose. In fact, I get more automated, spammy texts than I do phone calls — by a long shot.

That said, the majority of my day to day communication is done through text

davecerv and Raku like this.
  9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

True. If that floozy Katie from rewards resort center stopped calling me I might answer!!!

Aside from that I talk to my family on the phone regularly and then one friend who likes to communicate by phone.

Essie and Jason Tate like this.
  10. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

Most people that call me are sketchy job recruitment folk and political blah blah. Texting is cool, though. Se-se-se-send me a text!

11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

entirely treat my phone like a pager

Essie likes this.
  12. Hazelnutsack

Irregular

You know what’s funny is that I’ve been exclusively texting people for about as long as I’ve had cell phones (half of my life at this point) and just recently have I gotten so sick and tired of it that I’ve gotten into making/ taking calls more. If it’s possible and I’m not working I’d much rather talk since it takes less time and the conversation can actually remain a fluid thing as opposed to someone not answering for like 8 hours. Phone calls are fresh and new again to me since I haven’t done it in a decade basically lmao

13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I have the absolute worst phone anxiety, so it literally sends me into a panic when I get phone calls from unknown numbers that aren't obviously spam. I don't know why. It's a real problem for me at work when I have to call publishers about subscriptions.

I also hate being cold called even by friends and family. I enjoy multi-tasking, and it's much easier to do when you're texting. There are a few very good friends I can talk to on the phone for hours, but I prefer it to be planned. Maybe I'm just the worst, haha.

Shakriel likes this.
  14. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

I'm a voice on a phone that you rarely answer anymore

Raku and daldalian like this.
  15. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

Sorta-related, I haven't had my voicemail set up in years. Probably at least six years. The anxiety i got from voicemails was the worst.

16. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

word. the advent of email and texting has been a life saver because even speaking on phone/skype/etc with folks i'm close with is hard for me

Shakriel likes this.
  17. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Online ordering literally changed my life. I am so glad for it.

mercury and Jason Tate like this.
  18. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Phone calls are for where the topic is extremely important, personal, or time-sensitive, because unless the call has been planned in advance, you are essentially asking the other person to drop everything else they’re doing at the moment and prioritize you instead. Honestly pretty rude and presumptuous! We as a society wrote it off when that was the only way to quickly get information out of people at a distance, but with texts and e-mails, you can now also be deferential to the recipient’s schedule and personal bandwidth, and electing *not* to be requires justification.

skogsraet likes this.
  19. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

This might be one of the most millennial things I've read in a while. I hope you're being a little sarcastic and honestly don't think someone having the audacity to make a phone call is rude.

I also didn't know phone anxiety was such a big thing. I'm on the phone for hours a day whether it's personally or business so maybe I'm just used to it. I have no problem calling to make appointments/reservations etc to.

Raku and Hazelnutsack like this.
  20. Raku

Regular

Ah, for some reason I'm not that good with leaving messages, and my speech becomes a lot more awkward, and impaired than if someone had just picked up the phone.

It's an odd occurrence, I can easily record things with a mic, and it's natural for me. However, leave a message/talk to nobody on the other line, and I just get awkward. I end up not leaving a message, and just try calling them again later because I suck at leaving them.

21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I make internal scripts in my head of what I'm gonna say in the convo or voicemail and I had a professor say in class that he did that too and this one guy in class couldn't believe it because he said it's so "easy" like ok some of us have Issues.mp4

Glad I no longer have to look friends up in the phonebook to invite them over tho that kid anxiety was the woooorst

Essie and Shakriel like this.
  22. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t know when I’m supposed to talk on the phone

23. Never knew talking on the phone gave so many people such severe anxiety. Tbh the responsibility of responding to texts/emails has always given me infinitely more anxiety because it inherently leaves what can become an infinite amount of time to think about and reword what I’m saying, a lot times (in my case) forgetting respond at all because I didn’t have time to reply with a proper answer in the moment. Then I’ve gotta apologize for not responding for like a week+ and I feel like a bag of shit about it every time.

But hey, we’re all wired differently. My comments a few posts above are more in relation to people that act like they’re “above” a phone call. Actual panic/anxiety is a different ballgame, which I totally get.

Raku likes this.
  24. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Haha, a little hyperbolic, yes. I’m not actually offended at receiving a call from friends, family, or people who need to convey time-sensitive information that calls for an immediate response. But I’m deeply skeptical whenever I see an unrecognized number on my phone and more often than not don’t pick up — if said number wants me to call back, they need to leave a message or send a text identifying themselves to prove they’re worth my time. (Assuming a cursory Google search doesn’t reveal their identity.)

Helloelloallo likes this.
  25. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

robo calls are obviously the reason. 99% of my calls are robocalls... so i obvioulsy just no longer pickup for anything or anyone